Ampeg BA115 vs SWR Workingmans 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by intillectualmin, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Ampeg BA 115

7 vote(s)
  2. SWR Workingmans 12

14 vote(s)
  1. intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    sorry if it seems like ive asked this question before. But its gettin closer and closer to to the end of the year and thats when im gonna go get my new amp, so ive officially narrowed it down to these two. haha, so help me out guys.. thanx a lot.
  2. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    I've been using the SWR Workingman's 12 for a few years and I'm really happy with it. I haven't played the Ampeg you mention so I really can't compare, but I've found the the SWR to have a great sound and be highly portable.
  3. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I've had a Workingman's 12 for 8 years now. Still very pleased with the tone, portability and features. Haven't tried the Ampeg.

4. intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    thanx for the tips guys. I really love the tone comin from the SWR, but everybody is giving me differnet opinions, so im confused. Anyway, thanx for helpin me out
  5. I've owned both, and I thought the SWR was the best by far, but it's really about personal taste so play both then make a decision.
  6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Just play both and pick the one YOU like best. Tips on reliability from long-term owners are helpful, though.

I've had both Ampeg and SWR gear and it's my opinion that Ampeg is kind of lacking in comparison in terms of power, weight and reliability. I've had a WM-12 for a while now and have used it for both an upright and electric amp...super little unit. It won a small combo shootout in BP magazine, also.
  7. intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    once again, thanx for the advice guys, ill be sure to remember it when i go get my new amp... hehe.. but is it true that u need a 15inch speaker when playin a 5 string? cuz i might go 5 string, not sure. Anyway.. thanx for the help
  8. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    maybe I am just biased because of a fondness for Ampeg, but I have had a BA115 for about 2 years now... great amp! I've played through the WM-12, and it was pretty cool as well, but I put my money on the Ampeg...

9. why are you comparing an ampeg 15 to an SWR 12? SWR makes a 15" workingman's combo too.
  10. intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    because thats like 300 bux more than the ampeg ba-115 and 200 bux more than the swr workingmans 12... if i had the money, i would get the workingman 15, but i dont.. haha
  11. I have a BA115, and it's pretty good. It's not as loud as I'd like, but it's ok for practices. The tone it ok, but there's not enough definition, IMO. You might look into the Behringer 120 watt combo, I've heard a lot of good stuff about it. I've never played through the SWR, but I'd probably like it better.
  12. intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    thanx for votin everyone...
  13. funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have a BA-115 and am really happy with it. Never gigged with it though, just jamming with friends. It did survive a cross country road trip stuffed into the back of a truck. :)
  14. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I have a B-100R and in looking at the circuit board, I'd guess the Ampeg amp you're looking at is essentially the same guts. I tried the WM12 when I bought my Ampeg.

If you are looking to play classic rock, and want a P-Bass sound, and a rig that is big enough for a band practice or small gig, I'd vote Ampeg. If you do more "hi-fi" modern bass stuff with slaps, pops, etc, and want a great sounding amp that's easy to carry, I'd go SWR.

I have to say the SWR is an excellent rig with more flexible tone, it just doesn't get as loud as the Ampeg does playing it's one tone.