1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg BA115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by afinalfantasy, Mar 3, 2008.

1. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    Is this amp worth getting? I'm in need of a new one, since my main amp of almost three years is basically gone to hell. I'm thinking about getting that Ampeg or something else in the price range of $400-$500. Is there any stack I could possibly get for under $1000 though? I mean one that is decent and would last awhile. Thanks

2. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    I say, if you can, wait for the new combos that Ampeg is coming out with. They seem really great.

3. TheJoSko

TheJoSko

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    The new ampeg combo's start at $699

I would go for the 600W model myself, but that jumps the price significantly. Over $1000...

If you like the BA115, i'd recommend the BA115HP or BA115HPT. Both have 220W power sections vs the 100W of the BA115. Most people want, even need the extra power. The BA115 seems tiny compared to its high powered brethren. And its only an additional $100-200 more. Well worth the extra dough.

4. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Genz Benz shuttles blow them away tone wise and in portability. They also have enough head room to drive an 8ohm extension cab for a real rig.

5. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana

I have a BA115. Decent amp. Very good, maybe great practice amp. Not very good gigging amp.

For $500, you could find a used head in great shape and enough for at least a 1x15 cab or 2x12 (recommended) cab. There are lots of used heads on the market at great prices - in fact, I just bought a Superfly shipped for $200. Check with your local music stores to see if they have any "rentals" that they would sell you. You might be surprised what $500 will buy you.

6. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    The BA115 is wimpy when pushed hard and the tone that comes out of it is not pleasant at more than bedroom levels. For the price it commands, it's not a good deal.

Wait and go for used stuff.

7. The Growler

The Growler

Jan 26, 2008

Details! We want details!

Actually I am very interested myself, but it seems they have been vaporware for a while now. Let's see and hear something more than a press release.

8. The Growler

The Growler

Jan 26, 2008
    +1

I have a BA115 and it's good. I think the HPT would be worth the extra $.

I think the 600 looks interesting, but so far Ampeg seems to be just teasin' us with "Coming Soon" the only refrain we hear.

9. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    I really like mine. I got tired of lugging my SVT and NV610 to practice and just brought my BA115, thinking I would run it through the PA for a little more umph if needed. It ended up working out really well. By tilting it back I could hear myself well. No one else had a problem hearing me either. The tone wasn't unpleasant either, it had that signature Ampeg tone. No it wasn't the same as my big rig, but for practices and small gigs I really like it. BTW I play with a drummer and 2 semi-loud guitarists. If there were any more pieces I would have definately needed to run through the PA.
    On a side note, I love the features this amp offers. The balanced line out is a big plus, but I really enjoy the input jacks and the headphone jack. I can plug in my ipod, throw on the headphones and practice or jam without disturbing anyone.
    Having said all that, I believe you could find a used BA210 in your price range which offers 2 10's and 220 watts of power, or stick with the 115 for under $300 used.

10. I used to have a BA115HP

the amp had good tone, but it sounded very weak and thin to me. it also had low output.. dont buy an ampeg combo and expect tons of volume.

I also found the speaker to be very muddy....

I would recommend another brand of combo.. especially regarding pricing..

11. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Decent stack for under a grand? Sure.

This is comprised of what Ive seen today on classifieds:

2 Avatar 2x12 cabs on Craigslist - $225 each
    Sansamp RBI - $200
    QSC power amp with 4U rack - $275

Thats a full stack you could play anywhere with and sound great with if the Sansamp gives you a tone you like.