1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg BA115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CBNJ, Mar 21, 2013.

1. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    At this point, I'm getting completely disgusted every time I play through my Acoustic B100, and it's getting pretty discouraging. I went to GC today and played through the BA115, and found a tone right away that I already liked better than my current sound. Would this be an upgrade? Would I be able to play shows with this? Any info would be great!

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    It's only 100 watts outside of something acoustic I think gigging would be tough

3. doktormerol

doktormerol

Mar 21, 2013
    This Ampeg series is amazing, the sound is very clear and strong, I recomend so much, but talking about to play in shows, I think that in small places are gonna be great, but in bigger places maybe you have to use de line out for the PA, but I think it's ok too. :hyper:

4. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Not an Acoustic fan. Bought a B200 on a whim (at a very cheap price)....couldn't find a good tone for the life of me....took it back. Not sure the 100W Ampeg is enuff (for MY needs) but between the 2, tonewise, no contest...Ampeg all day long.

5. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    If you're serious about gigging I'd pass on the BA115. It's OK, but just not enough IMO.

6. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    There's a local guy in a very well known act in these parts who I've never seen with anything but a Precision and an Ampeg BA-115. Six-piece band that plays everything from dance venues to weddings and bars. It seems to work for him.

7. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Same with me. I can play with the settings all day long, but I'm not happy with anything. I know some people love them, but not me.

Would that be enough to play live?

---

Is an amp something I should look for used, or just spend a little more and buy used? I don't really care about the condition, but about the speakers. Any videos of the amps being used in a live setting?

8. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I find the BA115 to be heavy, low output and noisy (a lot of hiss). Ampeg amps also seem to have their share of quality issues. Just my experience...

9. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I've been playing live with a GK MB200 into an 8 ohm Genz Benz Focus 115 (so it's not even putting out the full 200 watts) and that has been fine. Used the BG250 (which is 250 watts into a 4 ohm speaker) at practice last night (music is blues, but our drummer is LOUD) and it was more than enough by a long shot - certainly capable of getting louder than the MB200+Focus combo. I personally like the tones you can get with the "Tubedrive", and the Toneprint thing is neat too. I plan on using the BG250 at a gig this Sunday (a blues competition, and I don't know if I'll have PA support). I think it will be fine.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    And he gets to keep all his money! Wish I were that smart. I used to be. Then I started making some money.

Like your pal, I play in a similar band, though the size of the horn section varies. I have played arenas and large outdoor shows using rigs as small as a 25w B-15 tube head into a 115, or the BA115's little sister, the BA110, with 35w into a 110. Most of them I had PA, of course, but I have done occasional stage volume gigs with them as well, as big as an 800 seat room with the B-15. We're not real loud but we're not quiet. A BA115 would be gross overkill for me. That didn't stop me from bringing an SVT tonight :bassist: but if the band's primary concern is a balanced stage sound and not drowning each other out and making each other deaf, it can be done easily with a BA115. Some people may not be able to use it, but it's not a quiet amp, and it's a definite step up from the Acoustic.

11. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Perhaps an Ampeg BA115-HP or a BA 210-SP? Each are 220 watt, as opposed to 100 watt. JimmyM, your thoughts???

I ask this because I see several of the BA-115HPs and 210-SPs for sale and wonder if these are worthwhile amps. Some of which are US made, FWIW. Also curious since I'm looking to upgrade from my anemic 25-watter.

12. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I'm starting to sound like a BG250 fanboy here:rolleyes: - but:

TCE BG250 = 250 watts, 35 lbs, $399

BA-115 = 100 watts, 62 lbs, $379

BA-115HP = 220 watts, 80 lbs, $499

No way I'd carry around 62 lbs, much less 80. My early '90's Hartke 1155 Combo (3500 head with a 15" and a 5", 350 watts) weighs 80 lbs. Well it did until I removed the 25 lb head from the cab so I could use it with my Genz Benz Focus 115 cab(s) (46 lbs each). The 55 lb speaker cab from the old Hartke combo stays in place at our practice space (I usually power it with my 2 lb GK MB200 head).
    I found that the MB200 with a single Genz Focus 115 was plenty for most of my gigs. After playing through a GK MB210 and MB115 at open jams, I was looking at them. Pricy though. I was almost set to get a used MB115, but then I checked out the BG250. Glad I did.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    To me the HP Ampegs sound like BA115's and BA210's with more wattage. It'll get you a decent volume and headroom bump to have double the wattage, but it won't be twice as loud. Still, while I wouldn't need the 220w amp to hang, some might appreciate the headroom so they stay cleaner at the higher volumes.

14. The hiss is an easy and reversible fix.

15. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    I saw an advert for an Ampeg 210-SP that the seller stated has a hiss that is static (meaning the hiss is constant no matter the volume) and is asking a redonkulously low price. I'm gassing for an Ampeg 2x10 combo and considering chancing it, but what should I look in to to remedy the hiss?

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Hard to predict without hearing it. Might be a blown tweeter. That's an easy fix and relatively cheap. Might need the loop jacks cleaned, or maybe the pots need cleaned. Or it might be more serious. Or it might be fine and the tweeter is just too hissy for him, and then all you have to do is disconnect it. Only one way to find out.

17. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Would 250 watts be overkill for bedroom playing, or does it sound okay at low volumes?

My ultimate goal is to get a tone 'similar' to this, and I think he used Ampeg. Would both amps be able to get that sound? The Toneprint is interesting.. Could you dial in an Ampeg sound with it? Also, it mentions being able to use your smart phone - can you store them in and use a footswitch later, or do you always need your phone to switch through them?

18. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I think I could get that tone from it.
    The Tubedrive function is separate from the Toneprint - Tubedrive would probably be most useful in trying to get "Ampeg" tone.

Unfortunately only one Toneprint effect can be loaded at a time, and each must be loaded with either your Smartphone or a laptop. Optional 3-way footswitch controls - mute, Tubedrive on/off, Toneprint on/off.

BG250 info
    http://www.tcelectronic.com/bg250/

Available Toneprints
    http://www.tcelectronic.com/bg250/toneprints/

Talkbass threads
    Part 1
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/tc-electronic-bg250-club-901664/

Part 2
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/tc-electronic-bg250-club-part-2-a-958571/

19. 5 Wire

5 Wire

Feb 1, 2013
    NorCal
    Yup. I said it before - I couldn't get that crapbox out the door fast enough.