Ampeg BA115HP+Eminence CB158?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tubehed, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Tubehed

Tubehed

Oct 27, 2011
    Hey Everyone,

I want to replace the stock 15" speaker in my BA115HP combo with an Eminence CB158. Has anyone here tried this combination? The CB158 is designed for bass combos with either vented or sealed enclosures, so it seems like it would be a good fit. It is rated at 8 ohms vs. 4 ohms for the stock speaker, so I think it will give me a little more volume. I don't know the sensitivity rating of the stock speaker, but the CB158 is 98db. Basically, I'm hoping for a bit more volume and better tone.

Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Actually, you'll be dropping the wattage of the head if you go to 8 ohms, so even if you do get a little gain of SPL with the new speaker's displacement, it'll be greatly offset by the lack of wattage.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    That driver is friendlier than most towards small boxes.

It's sensitivity is on the higher end of things as far as commonly used 15's go.

Moving to 8ohm would allow you to chain an extension cab to your combo which is really the way to get louder.

It's a good driver. If you don't like it in the combo, you can stick it most any average size 115 cab and get a decent result.

Knowing anything beyond that would take some 'cipherin'.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Good point. If you gain 3db sensitivity and cut the power in half, you end up in the same spot. The remaining advantage being 8ohm/can add another cab....the best way to get louder.

5. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    There's no extension speaker output on that combo so it would have to be modded to take advantage of running an extension speaker.

PawleeP likes this.
  6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Another thing to consider...although adding a jack to the back of the cabinet portion of the combo would be pretty easy.

PawleeP likes this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That's not hard as far as mods go.

8. Tubehed

Tubehed

Oct 27, 2011
    So, does that mean that installing an 8 ohm speaker in a combo rated for 4 ohms will reduce the volume I get out of it?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    yep.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy....:rollno:

No. There are a dozen variables involved, and impedance is only one of them.

The only way to know that in advance is by modeling the current driver. Chances are slim that a driver change will do much, if anything. It all depends on what's in there now. IMO this is probably a fruitless quest. If you don't like the tone you have find something you do like the tone of.

PawleeP likes this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Bill, do you really think the Cb158's displacement will offset the wattage loss in a BA115HP? I can't say I'm too encouraged by it.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    One thing is for sure, if the op is looking for more volume, and who wouldn't with a single 15 combo, putting an 8 ohm driver AND an ext spkr jack, will allow for the use of 2 15" drivers, and that will get louder. But, just swapping drivers without doubling up on them is likely a wasted effort, either way.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    This thing is listed as a 220 watt combo amp. You can't really compare without knowing anything about the original driver. That said, it may be a safe bet to say it's sensitivity isn't as high as the Legend and that the legend can take whatever the amp has to throw at it. You can measure and model everything and predict what the legend will do in there but with no specs on the original, you have nothing to compare those results to and see what increase if any you've achieved. Most amps don't all the way halve or double with the change in impedance, this one might be 150 watts at 8ohms.

Changing it to 8ohms would allow the use of an ext. cab. Whether it's worth it is up to the OP.

14. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Wattage, schmattage. Driver excursion is defined by the applied voltage, not power. The fact that the amp can deliver more current into a lower impedance load may or may not be of value depending on all of the factors involved, not the least of which is the specs of the drivers in question and the cab design.

15. Tubehed

Tubehed

Oct 27, 2011
    I actually like the tone of this combo, but I thought the Eminence might sound a little tighter and punchier at higher volumes. I don't have much experience with bass amps, but I will say that every guitar amp (combo or cab) in which I've upgraded the speaker(s) has sounded better-in some cases WAY better. I know we are talking about different animals, though.

In terms of volume, the BA115HP normally cuts it and it has only been twice that I had to almost dime the master volume to get it to cut through. This was in a larger club and without being miked or going through the PA. But, a bit more volume would always be a nice bonus. Maybe I'll add an extension speaker jack.

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If the internal speaker is 4ohms, adding another in parallel would burn up the amp. You'd have to wire the ext. in series thus raising the impedance by connecting another cab. The end result may be a wash but just raising the stack closer to ear level would make it appear louder.

17. Matt Lake

Matt Lake Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Jefferson CITY
    I know this is an old post but I have some history with this so I'll share. I put a JBL D140 8 ohm in my BA115HP and it lost volume and didn't really sound as good as the stock speaker. At a later date I came up with a Peavey Black Widow 4 ohm and put it in. The Black widow is louder and definately has a better sound/tone. Much improved sound.

dfp and PawleeP like this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021