1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg BA115HP questions / opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davyo, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    I been looking at the Ampeg BA115HP and can get a good price on it.
    Would it work for small to med sized venues (bars) with a classic rock/blues band using a 5 string Jazz bass ???

I like the size and everything about the Ampeg but in reading this forum it seems I see other brands get recomended more for something in the 500.00 to 650.00 price range,, and not "that" much love for the Ampeg,,,is that correct ?

Opinions pos/neg on the Ampeg ?
    Best combo for a 5 string player for med size clubs ?

Thanks from the forum new'bie.
    Cheers
    Davyo

2. Davyo

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Figured I would give a little bump for some replys as I have to decide on something in the next day or two.

Thanks
    Davyo

3. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I used to own one and I thought it was a great sounding amp. Very small and compact, easy to move and has a built in tuner.
    Depending on the type of band it could do small to *some* medium size venues, I would use the DI to a PA if it was available for many medium size and larger venues.
    My only real complaint about the amplifier is that you can't add a extension cab to it. It is designed to operate just as it is and nothing else added to it.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I had a BA115 and it was working hard in small clubs. Medium clubs I had to drive way past it's limits and I eventually sold it. Sounded great at low volumes but once you got past a certain point that didn't matter any more.

I've been through lots and lots of combos in your price range and the only one I've held onto is a Fender Bassman 250 115. $600 and it's louder and sounds better than many amps costing 2X as much. It's pretty small and lightweight too, and not even a Neo. I'm not a Fender fan by any stretch but I gotta give kudos for this one. Ya might want to take a look at the new Carvin BX500 head also. You can add whatever bottoms you'd like and have an awesome 5 lb 500 watt head for $400. There's a pretty long thread here on them. Everybody seems to be loving theirs.

5. CodaPDX

CodaPDX

Feb 2, 2009
    I've got a BA115HP, and while it sounds great and handles the B-string with aplomb, the more I play the more I realize that it doesn't have as much legs as I'd like. It'll do small gigs without any trouble, but medium-sized ones will give it a run for it's money. Looking back, I could have probably gotten a louder amp for about the same amount of money, but the Ampeg did sound the best out of all the ones I tried.

6. gsak

gsak

Sep 19, 2008
    I own a BA115HP, and I'm keeping it. The tone was the best of all the amps that I tried at my local Guitar Center. It trades sound volume for sound quality and if that's okay with you, buy it.

7. Davyo

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Thanks all for the input,, I went ahead and ordered the BA115HP (B stock, low price, 60 return policy), the first few gigs I have are in smaller venues so that will give me a chance to see what the Ampeg will do, if it does OK I will keep it, and also keep it for a back-up.

I plan on ordering the new Peavey TNT when it gets released, 600 watts with an out for an extension cab, should work great for the size gigs I have coming up.

Cheers
    Davyo

8. bassdudepat

bassdudepat Bringer of the Brown Note Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    You're better off staying away from the Peavey's IMHO. You're on the right track with the ampeg going for more quality (sound) than quantity (Watts) at least in that price range..

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Those new Peavey's are getting rave reviews. And, the fact they'll support an ext cab puts them up a step from Ampegs BA series, which we all know, is their "bottom of the line".

10. Jim Powers

Jim Powers

Mar 19, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I've been using mine every Weds night at open jam in a small rock n roll bar and everyone likes it. The first night I walked in there was a Markbass 410 being played, and I felt compelled to step in with my own amp and what an improvement in tone! :bassist: Crowd loved it. Used it there this past Fri night for a gig with my classic rock band. I find that the guitars will get too loud for the place before I run out of head room. I also have a BA210 I use for stereo output from the Ric-O-Sound jack on my 4003, but I don't use that setup often. I've been using the Great Gramma acoustic decoupler board under the amp which gives it a clean tone when setting on a wooden riser stage.

I'm a bigger is better guy and have an SVT-CL and SVT-810 rig as well which sounds great, love it, but for your typical small bar venue where people want to hear each other, and medium sized venues with PA support, the BA115HP will do the job. ;)