Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg BA210 - need more sound!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Johnny5, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    Hi all.
    I'm currently playing an Ampeg BA210 combo and I love it to bits, the growl is perfect and it's just enough to fill up my band's rehersal space. We're preparing for our big debut pretty soon and I started questioning this thing's power on a live scale.
    To the best of my knowledge, it can't be patched into other cabinets so that rules out using more speakers. It does have a line out to a mixer board but sometimes soundguy's just don't get it right through the PA.
    Thoughts?

2. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    If you like the sound you get with ampeg then uprade to a bigger rig.

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I tried that amp in GC and was blown away by it. I love that amp. My thought is to *help* the sound guy get it right. If you've never met the guy, just introduce yourself to him, shake his hand, and explain your concerns to him. He'll bring out the bass. Usually sound men bring it out too much, especially if they have subwoofers to play with. And if you are playing an indoor small to medium venue, I think you will be surprised how well that amp will project. It has 220 watts (?) which isn't huge, but enough.

Skel

4. Use your ampeg for your stage monitor and run a line to the sound person. Tell them exactly what you want and don't want.

Are you working for him, or is he working for you?;)

5. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Slipping the sound man a 20 won't hurt, either.

6. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    I've heard about this, is this what you'd do? My apologies if I come off as an amateur, I only switched from guitar to bass a few years ago and I'm only becoming familiar with the gear as of recent.
    I've been told that a soundguy is EVERYTHING, especially with insuffucient gear. That comment about them wanting to overdo it using subs is interesting, I'll keep an eye out. For now I'll stick with the 210, but my future probably has a bigger rig in it.

7. Yup. Given your situation of a rig that's not loud/powerfull enough for the gig, I'd use the PA support for sure.

8. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Of course I'm not saying that *all* sound guys will over-do it, but one thing for sure is; be nice. Don't cop an attitude that the sound guy is *working for you, dammit*. You are working together, and he will most likely appreciate that you respect him, and don't pay any attention if he has an attitude about anything - keep your eye on *your* goal. And figure out right now what you have for options, like a "pre-EQ", "post-EQ", a 20dB pad switch, etc. Sometimes the sound guy will just want you to feed him *anything* and he'll take it from there. Other times he will start hitting switches, and if so, just let him because it means he probably knows exactly what he's doing. If he doesn't see any need to even run your bass preamp into the board - that's where I would just tell him you want it through the PA, even if it's just barely there - just to get the connection made before the gig. During the gig, if he has an extra toy to play with, he will.

Skel

9. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have the same amp, only the model with those cheesy effects, and I was wondering if you have a hissing problem? Mine is fine at very low volume, but even if all effects are off and such, I still get a lot of hissing from all of my basses when the volume/level is turned up even a little. Is there an easy fix?