Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg BA210 Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aristotle, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    Anyone know if this thing has an ext. speaker out? I'm in the market for a fairly inexpensive 210 combo and when it comes down to G-K Backline and this I think I'd choose this, but I'd like to know about the expansion capabilities.

2. I checked out the BA-210SP today. What a great sounding combo! Didn't have much time to mess with the digital effects, but they seem useful. The bad news is, there is not an extension cabinet option on this model. I assume the same goes for the BA-210. I mostly play small venues, so I don't need a lot of power, but I am not sure about it's presence as a standalone deal on a larger stage at only 220W out of 2 tens. Still considering making it my main amp though!

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've got a BA115SP. I looked at BA210's & I'm certain that it does NOT have an Ext Speaker port.

OH wait,, never mind.. LoFreq answered.

Anyway, I choose the 115SP as a practice amp. If I need more guts, I'll use the XLR Out & feed it to a power amp & cabs,,, or a PA, or whatever.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wow...I ain't the only one. I looked at this combo as well, and was ready to buy it. Then I realized there is no support for an extension cab, and that idea scared me off. Too bad, that combo kicks butt.

-Mike

5. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    I know this was a while back but I just thought about it. If it has an XLR out, which obviously doesnt defeat the internal speaker, couldnt you just get a cable with XLR on one end and 1/4" inch on the other end and use that plug up an extension speaker? It most likely is a dumb question but I wanted to know if thats possible. Thanks.

6. There's no speaker out because the internal speakers are already running at 4 ohms. The backline 210 is set up the same way, but the GK 400RB-IV will support an external speaker.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    This isn't an issue of matching connector types. It's an issue of available power & speaker loads...

The reason why you can't run an extension speaker is because the amp is configured to deliver 4 ohms into its existing speaker load. Try to bypass that, and you'll stress the amp into running at less than 4 ohms, probably burning it out..

The XLR out simply delivers an unpowered, parallel signal straight from the pre-amp - not from the power amp. Meaning that you will still need an external power amp of some sort in order to drive an extra speaker cab - be it bass speakers, PA speakers or whatever. And that's not the same as simply running an extension cab from the built-in power amp.

Hope that clarifies things...

MM

8. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

With all due respect, you mention that the amp really kicks butt AS IS. It does so because it was designed to deliver its full power to the speakers in the combo itself. :^>) Would you prefer to have the amp deliver considerably LESS power than you thought you were buying, BUT, have an extension speaker outlet? IMHO, I'll take the full-rated power and have one less cabinet to drag around. :)

RB

http://www.richbriere.com

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

To answer your question directly....No. I would have preferred it deliver the exact power it says it will, and then deliver more with an extension cab

For me, it was a volume issue at the time I was looking at it. I thought it was a really great combo, and would have served me well most of the time. Back then, we had some gigs where I was going to need much more volume than the BA210 put out "as is". If I could have added an extension cab, I would have bought it.

If anything, I have learned from alot of the people here at TB to have a rig that gives you options. One trick ponies for gigging musicians is not a good idea most of the time.

-Mike

10. R Briere

Greetings MJ,

Those fun-loving guys in the marketing departments of many amp manufacturers know that we all enjoy seeing BIG numbers so they sell them exactly that way. For instance, without reading the fine print, it's often difficult to understand that the "300 watt amp" that you're buying actually puts out 175 or 200 watts UNLESS you use an extension speaker. Quite a few folks don't realize that---including some of the sales people who sell you the amps. :)

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey bro....when I try out gear, I do not fixate on the numbers. I listen for tone and volume. I did not walk in and say to myself..."I can not buy this BA210, it is only 200 watts"...I walked out saying to myself..."I can not buy this Ampeg, it will not be loud enough for our barn gigs".

I appreciate your efforts to educate me on watt ratings, and their actual output.

-Mike

12. R Briere

Greetings MJ,

Never tried to educate you. With 2800 posts, I suspect that YOU could educate ME on a lot of things. :) Just popping in a couple of tid-bits for "others" who may not make the connection. So I'd suggest that "WE" , perhaps, passed on a cooperative effort to those who might benefit from it. :)

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Thank you sir. :)

You have some valid points, and it was a good idea to post them. Marketing hype is all around us, and you did a good thing reminding people it exists in bass gear as well. TB saved me some money over the years because of reading posts like yours.

-Mike

14. Dr. D

Dr. D Loaded For Bear

Jan 13, 2005
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I don't know how well it would work, but you could plug a powered subwoofer into the ampeg xlr. It would be an option.