1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg ba210 speaker mods

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mikemccarthyj, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Mikemccarthyj

Mikemccarthyj

Sep 28, 2017
    Hey, I have an ampeg ba210v2. It’s rated for 450 watts at 4 ohms, and 283 watts at 8 ohms. This combo needs an 8 ohm external cab to get to 4 ohms. My question is instead of adding an external cab, could I just replace the 2 stock 16 ohm speakers with new 8 ohm speakers and get 450 watts from the combo only without an extension cab. As I understand it the external cab jack on the back of the combo is wired in parallel with the interna speakers so this should be possible. However I’d like some insight before I possibly destroy my amp. Thanks in advance.

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The speakers would have to be well suited for the cabinet design and intended power capacity. You can’t load any pair of 10” 16 ohm speakers. If you can meet those those requirements, sure. How to identify which speakers would be best suited is the problem.

You would be better off getting a matching 210 8 ohm cab or a 4 ohm cab and have the output of the amp rewired to run just off the external cab.

3. Mikemccarthyj

Mikemccarthyj

Sep 28, 2017
    That’s what I figured, I may try to find a nice 410 4 ohm cab and let the internal speakers go.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Why not find an entire rig that might better suit your needs?

5. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Even if you could find a pair of 8-ohm speakers that were well suited for the cabinet, the extra wattage wouldn't translate into a very large increase in volume. If you want more volume you need more speakers, not more wattage.

Joedog likes this.
  6. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    What is your goal? If "louder" is the purpose, an extension cab is the winner; ideally a matching 8 ohm 210.

If you aren't finding tones that you like, a whole different rig is more likely the better move. You should be able to recoup a decent bit of your investment on the Ampeg; or simply retire it to the bedroom for personal practice, small jams, etc.

If "lighter" is the goal, no speaker swap will shave more than a couple pounds, see the second paragraph.

Bass cabs are a system where the enclosure and driver need to work together. Unlike guitar, random swapping of speakers isn't recommended.

Lobster11 and agedhorse like this.
  7. Mikemccarthyj

Mikemccarthyj

Sep 28, 2017
    All good points, my ultimate goal is a Gallien Kruger 1001rb Head and a410 and 115 cabinet. We just had a baby so the funds for such a big purchase are relegated to diapers and formula, I was just looking for something to hold me over until I could get some cash together.

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    You might find that a good used rig like that might be more affordable than you think. Maybe you could get some diapers with a creative deal too ;)

lowendrv and BadExample like this.
  9. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Be prepared for an onslaught of posts explaining all the reasons why pairing a 1x15 with a 4x10 is probably a bad idea. Get a pair of matched cabinets instead, whether 1x15s or 2x10s or whatever. (A lot of us really like a pair of vertically stacked 2x10s, which has a lot of advantages and should be adequate for anything short of a stadium show.)

10. Mikemccarthyj

Mikemccarthyj

Sep 28, 2017
    I’ve owned 410s in the past and could never get that low b punch. I have a dingwall 5 string and with the extended scale on the low b it is tight and crisp, but I can’t feel it. I figured an ampeg 210 with a 15 might do it, but honestly I’m not in love with the ampeg tone from the combo amp. I thought changing the speakers would give me more of the useable wattage from the Amp and thus more low end. I may have to head back to the drawing board and try a different speaker cabinet.

Joedog likes this.
  11. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Your most cost effective solution may be to leave the amp as it is and buy a used 210 extension cab with the same performance specs as the combo’s.

Baby should come first. I always see yard sales where they are selling off kid’s stuff. Makes me wonder what they did with their children.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    smogg and agedhorse like this.
  12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Ditch the the idea of the 1x15 and if you need a second cabinet an identical 4x10 is the way to go.

Lobster11 likes this.
  13. Mikemccarthyj

Mikemccarthyj

Sep 28, 2017
    GK does offer their neo 410 cabs in 8 ohm ratings, i could get one now and add another down the road if needed, these purchases are so big i really try to get as much education on the subject as possible. Thanks for the insight

14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    If you do a search here on TB you’ll find lots of information on the subject both pro and con. Essentially a single 15 compares to a 2x10. With a 4x10 it becomes a limiting factor. Many people have had their 1x15 fail in this configuration.

15. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    At first glance, I thought that your name was Mike McCartney. I was going to suggest that you ask your rich brother Paul for an amp. Then I saw that it’s McCarthy. With the luck of the Irish, maybe a lottery ticket will find you a new amp. :laugh:

16. Mikemccarthyj

Mikemccarthyj

Sep 28, 2017
    Haha, I wish I had a rich uncle, and I have crap luck, maybe if I put my 210 combo under my pillow the Amp fairy might visit me. Lol

beans-on-toast and smogg like this.
  17. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    As stated already, you can do what you describe, and achieve the 450 watts with a 4-ohm internal speaker load, but if Ampeg did proper design work, the chances of you finding a pair of 8-ohm 10s that sound better than the 16-ohm 10s in the cabinet now is slim.

I happen to have BA 210 that I obtained back in March of this year. I have noticed that the amp is a little anemic without an external speaker. I don't have an 8-ohm 210 to try, but I did pair it with a single 15 that sounded pretty good. I also have a 16-ohm 212 that works well to increase the overall volume significantly.

I'd suggest a really efficient 8-ohm cabinet. I would look at a 212, and if that doesn't do the trick, trade the Ampeg for a class D head and a second 8-ohm 212. That will do the trick....