Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg BA210 vs Yorkville XM200T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    For a while now I've been ampless since my Peavey T-Max fried. As soon as I can pass a pee test I've got a job lined up and will finally be able to buy a new amp. It's more or less between these two amps. No stores around here have either. I use a MIM Fender P with flats. I play classic rock (CCR, Alice Cooper, Ted Nugent), 80's metal (WASP, King Diamond, Iron Maiden), and sludge/stoner metal. I even dabble in 60's Motown.

Which do you think I would be happier with? The last amp I bought was Genz Benz ML200-115T. The boomy 15" and unvariable tweeter killed that amp for me. I like highs just not when they're like an icepick on a chalkboard. I've been unable to find out if the XM200T's tweeter is variable. Feel free to suggest any other 2X10 combos guys as long as it's 200+ watts. I see Ashdown has a 4X10 combo for $600. To good to be true?

I really need your help here guys, I'm used to practicing everyday, now a little piece of me dies each day I don't get to play. :(

2. well, first of all the Yorkie XM200T (along w/ the XM200) are only 150 watts to the internal speaker. You have to attach an extension cab to get the full 200 watts out of these combos. Second - the XM200T doesn't have a variable tweeter - but I owned one for awhile and it NEVER sounded harsh - very nice tweeter. That being said, I've also dabbled a bit w/ the BA210 and it had a great sound. But it was big, bulky, and couldn't power an extension cab. You'll likely get more volume out of the XM200T + extension cab then the BA210. Also, the XM200T will (in my opinion) have a bit more variety w/ the tones you can achieve.

3. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
  4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I agree with Wolfenstein. I needed something more powerful and so I went with the XS400T, but the XM200T is a loud 150W in comparison to other amps with similar specs. Yorkville has always been conservative with their power ratings. It's a really sweet amp and it's easy to dial in different tones. Pro features.

5. F*#$NA4

F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    Chicago
    Hello Sir

Although I have not played that particular Yorkie, I do own a Ba210 and can attest to it being a great amp. There are a lot great qualities to the Ampeg, it is powerful for the size. I have played pretty much every size venue you can and it puts out enough stage volume to suffice. The XLR out on it is very clean and not hot at all. Sound guys comment on it being a very clean, a very workable output. The price on them are very decent. I got mine for 600 otd at a guitar center. The wheels and handles on them are nice features too. If you play out a lot, I would go for the Ba210 because it has more power than that Yorkville without the extension and if you are playing out a lot, you probably wont want to haul that extra cab around. If you do not play out a lot, and are happy lugging the extra cab around, go for it.

hope that helps.

6. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Thanks, that was helpful. GREAT NEWS! I passed the piss test and got the job today! It's at a glass factory. Considering that the BA210 is $640 at MF I might just save up the little extra and get a Fender 400 Pro for $999. I've never played that particular amp, but I've played a Bassman 2X10 and was blown away. Very ballsy IMO. :bassist:

7. let us know how it is - I've been wanting to try one of the new Fender's for some time now!

8. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Side handles mean you can lift with both arms and a straight back.

9. I suggest the XM200's bigger brother: the XS400T. :eek:

It's a very good combo, basically a Yorkville XS400 head, with a 2x10. There's a tube preamp, and you can get a variety of tones from it. Make sure you check it out before you decide.

10. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    That's three votes for a Yorkville X series 2x10 :ninja: ...the XM200T or XS400T would be awesome... :D