Ampeg BA500 500watt 2x10 combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pofrog11, Feb 19, 2006.

1. pofrog11

Dec 17, 2005
    Anybody out there own or played this amp? I'm looking for a good combo amp in the $1k range to power my G&l asat semi-hollow bass. My old Peavey 300 combo is fading fast.
    Playing both large and small clubs. Want a combo I can handle myself if I have to. Any and all advise is greatly appreciated!
  2. keepclam

Jan 30, 2006
    Yardley, PA
    I've got the BA500 and I absolutely love it. It sounds amazing and is tonally versatile. It's also capable of getting very loud. It's not light, but it comes with pop-in casters to aid in the mobility department. I tried a ton of combo's before deciding on this one - there's a lot to choose from in your price range - happy hunting!
  3. pofrog11

Dec 17, 2005
    Hey-thanks for the reply-think I'll try a different type of post to get more input-
  4. jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    I just sold mine. Ultimately, it came down to the preamp clipping in a very unmusical way. I have a very hot bass (G&L L2000) and we tune down pretty low (drop c#) and when the preamp clipped it sounded terrible. I had the -12dB pad engaged and the gain was set at about 9 o'clock (pretty damn low) but would still clip the pre unexpectedly and make me cringe. This problem may have been limited to my setup before the amp. And everything else about it, I liked.

The thing is, there's not many combo amps out there that are as loud or "pro" as this. I ended up buying a used 810 and B2R and actually made money. And I'm waaaay happier with my tone.

Hope this helps.