Ampeg Baby Bass Bridge Damper/Rubber Bridge Crown Part #36396

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by 65AmpegBB4, May 6, 2019.

1. 65AmpegBB4

65AmpegBB4

Apr 26, 2019
    Florida
    Hi folks,

The Ampeg BB comes with a rubber piece that sits on top of the bridge, which is where the strings rest (it keeps the strings from coming in contact with the metal bridge). Given that my bass is over 50 years old, this plastic piece has started to crack/disintegrate. Does anyone know where I could source one?

Thanks very much!

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  2. mdcbass

mdcbass Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Seacoast of NH
  3. 65AmpegBB4

65AmpegBB4

Apr 26, 2019
    Florida
    Hi there,

No, that's a protecting arc that sits above the bridge/strings. What I'm referring to is a piece of plastic, with grooves on it (one for each string), and this is what the strings rest on, instead of directly on top of the metal bridge.

4. mdcbass

Feb 6, 2005
    Seacoast of NH
    A picture would help.

5. Why not get a chunk of ABS or Plexiglas and shape it?

6. 65AmpegBB4

65AmpegBB4

Apr 26, 2019
    Florida
    This is a picture from another tread of an Ampeg BB's bridge - this looks exactly like mine; note the black plastic piece on top of the bridge where the strings rest.

Attached Files:

7. 65AmpegBB4

65AmpegBB4

Apr 26, 2019
    Florida
    I would if I could source a moldable piece. There's the curvature of the bridge, then there are the grooves for the strings (with equal spacing), and as far as I can see, the grooves differ in size to accommodate the gauge of the strings. I figured if I can pick up one instead of making it, it will most likely be more precise than anything I make by hand.

8. mdcbass

Feb 6, 2005
    Seacoast of NH
    On TB, it's likely someone's been there before.
    Attention Ampeg Baby Bass owners: rubber bridge crown?

9. 65AmpegBB4

65AmpegBB4

Apr 26, 2019
    Florida
    Thank you, I found this thread earlier today and it dead ends about two posts in...I'll respond on it and see if anyone found a solution and simply didn't post it.

10. 65AmpegBB4

65AmpegBB4

Apr 26, 2019
    Florida
    Well then, I decided to take matters into my own hands and created a rubber bridge crown ... it lines up with the strings perfectly and I'm just waiting on my new set of strings to arrive so that I can test it. :)

Attached Files:

11. talkbasser

talkbasser

Dec 7, 2019
    Hello 65AmpegBB4. I would like to know if I could order one rubber damper from you, and ship it to Canada. I have a Sendel Baby Bass and intend to install wider strings, maybe guts, and with a rubber damper it will be easier. Thank you

12. 65AmpegBB4

65AmpegBB4

Apr 26, 2019
    Florida
    Hi there, certainly. Just a few questions: is the bridge on the Sendel baby bass similar in dimensions to the one of an Ampeg Baby Bass? I ask because I cut the grooves into the rubber damper to match the grooves of the bridge, so that they align when installed. If the answer is yes, then I can make you one using my baby bass; if the answer is no, I may need you to trace your bridge/grooves and provide measurements that I can use to make the damper.

13. talkbasser

talkbasser

Dec 7, 2019

14. talkbasser

talkbasser

Dec 7, 2019
    Hello. The Sendel bridge is around 60.7mm from center of E groove to center of G groove; 85mm top bridge lenght. How much would it cost? Thanks!

15. 65AmpegBB4

65AmpegBB4

Apr 26, 2019
    Florida
    Does the Sendel have a Romberg bevel, like the Ampeg baby bass does? This changes the shape of the bridge a bit. Price-wise, don't worry about it and just cover shipping/handling (shouldn't be more than a few dollars). :)

16. talkbasser

talkbasser

Dec 7, 2019
    Yes it has the Romberg bevel. Thank you

17. talkbasser

talkbasser

Dec 7, 2019
    Hello
    Just let me know when you are ready to ship the damper. Thank you!

18. 65AmpegBB4

65AmpegBB4

Apr 26, 2019
    Florida
    Hi there, sorry about the delay, I'm in the process of moving and planning a wedding ... things are a bit hectic around here :)

I just made your bridge damper. Please keep in mind that this is the first time I've made it for anything other than an Ampeg BB, without having a bridge here to measure directly from. I hope that the length of the damper and the grooves align properly. On a positive note, the rubber material is sturdy, but allows a bit of flexibility, in case one of the grooves is slightly off and needs stretching - it should work out nicely. Also, the material I use has a built-in adhesive layer on the underside. You may choose to either scrape off the adhesive with a small flathead edge/screwdriver, or leave it in place. Since the pressure of the strings will keep the damper in please, the adhesive is not needed, but this is the way the material comes out of the box. Feel free to message me directly with an address and I will let you know what the shipping cost is. I am attaching a photo of your damper.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

19. RobertBassman2

RobertBassman2

Jun 4, 2020
    Hi, I'm looking for the same part, as well as a Bridge Protector (the chrome strip that fits around the bridge). Did you find what you're looking for?

20. 65AmpegBB4

65AmpegBB4

Apr 26, 2019
    Florida
    Hi there! After looking for weeks I wasn’t able to source the rubber damper, so I figured out a way of making it myself. It’s been great ever since and still in place doing its job - it’s not perfect by any means as it is handmade, but fitment looks great and it even looks OEM as the material I used is black.

On to the second part of your post: there has been a bridge protector for sale on Reverb for over a year! I even thought about buying it and having it powder-coated red so that I could have different looks on my black baby bass, but ended up not getting it. I just checked and it’s still available, so you’re in luck. Either download the Reverb app or go on their website, create an account, and jump on it!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022