1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ampeg bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mellowgerman, Feb 24, 2008.

1. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    this is a vintage 60s amp I've come across. VT-22 I believe. Is this a bass amp or guitar amp or could it be used as either?
    01020501040801161020080217713ca26a0.
    010108011609010311200802173a6bdc75a.

2. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The head is the V-4 guitar head, which is a guitar amp, yet a lot of people use it for bass. I would get a new head box from fliptops and use it with a stand alone cabinet...an open back 2x12 won't work well for bass.

3. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    It's a guitar amp.

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Yep, you could just plug that combo into your bass cabs too. (these amps have a 2-4-8 ohm switch) Kinda looks like its got Music Man logo stickers on those speakers.

5. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    I'd bet that amp is early 70's (unless it was made in NJ). If you can get it at a reasonable price (and it works well), I second Jazzman's suggestion. This makes a great bass amp.

Billy-Bob

6. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    the current offer is $300. Which sounds good to me...
    I was thinking about converting it and using as a head for my Sunn 4x10 cab. Will it damage it if use a bass on it though?

7. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

The black rocker switches are generally early 70s issue for Ampeg. White rockers are mid-70s and into the early 80s.

The open back is not good for bass. I had a VT-40 (4x10 combo) from the same era. It sounded terrible for bass -- you lose too much volume out the back.

As for the idea of swapping it into another head box, I'd recommend against that in spades.

Vintage Guitar Price Guide lists the VT-22 (made from 1970-1980) for $700-850. I, personally, have never seen them go for that except from snotty-azzed vintage dealers on Sunset in Hollywood. More like $600 on your average private sale. Head box from Fliptops for a V-4 goes for $185 (see http://www.fliptops.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_80&products_id=449. )

I bought my V-4B (bass version) about a month ago for $500 and it's great. Seen several for $600-650 lately, too.

If you can get the VT-22 at a good price, the far better play would be to snag it, then flip it and use the cash to buy a real V-4 or V4-B......

EDIT: just saw your post. Snag it at $300, flip it and you might even come out ahead. You won't damage it by running a bass through the amp. Beware though -- these amps tend to run out of headroom at about 11 o'clock -- part of their charm is the breakup. Great for guitar, maybe not so for bass depending on what you're playing. They're rated at 100w, which is tube not solid state, so yeah, they can do a small gig, but they're not an SVT and you can't expect the same power (but your back will be happier)....

8. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    wouldn't I be better off just making my own case for it? probably a lot cheaper.
    plus, with my dad's help i'll definitely be able to get proper airflow and so on to make sure there's no fires.
    as far as headroom, you mean it'll start to distort at 11 oclock right?

9. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    My V4 starts getting fuzzy around 10 o'clock, but is also pretty darn loud by then.

10. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    well i can dig me some good grit:hyper: