Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg bass inside, need info!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Jan 16, 2006.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    i just got a new catalog from my local music store and i saw this AMB-1 bass tag price of 1k€.
    Did ampeg came back to mass production or is this just an small run of basses????

i like it having a MM humbucker.
    [​IMG]

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I owned one of these for a couple of years. Ampeg made two reissue Armstrong basses: the lucite body version for the US market, and the wood body/flame maple top for the EU market. They were only made for a few years in the late 90s if I recall correctly. There is a thread going now about the lucite ones, but the wood ones IMO were nicer. I had one with a transparent dark purple-burst over the flame maple, it looked really sweet when the light hit it at the right angle. The pickup is strong and clear, and the controls are simple and clean (series/parallel switch, treble rolloff knob, vol. knob). I ended up selling it for two reasons: the tone was not as "ballsy"/beefy as I like (too clean/midrangy) and the finish is prone to chipping (brittle finish, hard corner edges on the body). Otherwise the construction was tight and clean and the neck and frets were very "fast playing".

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    what was the scale of this basses????

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    30.5" scale, string-through-body.