1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg bass tone songs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by A_E_A, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Hey I was just wondering what songs people think show off the ampeg tube tone. Even what model the recordings represent or what was used if known..

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Beck's "Sea Change" album was almost entirely done on a B-15R with a P and a Guild Starfire. KISS' live albums have some pretty massive SVT tone even if you don't like the music. The problem with trying to narrow that sound down on records, though, is a lot of people still used DI and blended it with mic'ed amp even if they used an amp.

3. im just trying to get an idea of what is consdered the ampeg tone.
    ive never really listened to different bass players tones ive always just found what was right for my sound and the bands ive been working with.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well bassists will always sound like themselves no matter what equipment they use, so there's not what I'd call a "typical" Ampeg sound.

5. "Light up the Sky" from Van Halen II

Might want put on the headphones tho;)

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

George Porter Jr...... P bass through Ampeg. Even his Meters stuff.

About as "P bass" as it gets.

7. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    Anything from Pantera, really. Rex always had a really great overdriven SVT tone, although it's possible that he used a Sansamp or something.

8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Willie Weeks on a P with flats through an old Ampeg SVT and 810 on 'Donny Hathaway Live' is one very fine definition.

9. Basslice

Basslice Supporting Member

May 11, 2008
    Western Massachusetts
    I'm pretty sure that Anthony from Van Halen used ampeg SVTs. Listen to the growling tone of Van Halen 1. I think it is pretty representative of the SVT driving sound.

10. godspeed68

godspeed68 i'm here for the sound

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
  11. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA

I thought he was a Mesa guy- used a Bass 400 live and an old D-180 in the studio? Could be wrong...

Karl

12. ben604

ben604

Sep 5, 2007
    The 1st Queens of the Stone Age album, especially "Mexicola", "You can't quit me baby" and "Give the mule what he wants". Excellent examples of the classic driven SVT tone!

Ben.

13. AndyMan

AndyMan Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    Boston's first 2 albums, SVT. That's THE classic rock SVT tone.

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Exit stage left ... Geddy's bass sound ... through an ampeg.

15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

John Mayer "Where The Light Is"

Ampeg on all electric songs.

16. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

That's true.

Waiting for the World to Change is a really good example of classic Ampeg tone. Pino playing a Fender bass through his Ampeg rig.

17. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Suspended

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Well lets go back to the first use of SVT's .
    The Rolling Stones "Get Your Ya Ya's Out".
    Wonderful early 6146 SVT tone.
    Those early Motown recordings used a B-15.

18. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    +1
    "Don't look back" has captured THAT sound. I don't think the bass on the first Boston album sounded as good.IMO

also:

Michael Anthony was an Ampeg guy early in '80's Van Halen and later switched to Mesa. I remember the MESA ads - Something about not having your bass sound like a well executed fart.
    Words to live by.

19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, Boogie's got a tight bottom.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021