Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Basses (new series)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sammy Camden, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Does anyone own or have any experience with the new Ampeg ADAB1/2 and AMB1 series basses?

These seem like they would be fairly well made, a definite step above the majority of the short scale basses that are currently available, without going into the high end botique basses. I've never seen one in a store anywhere, so, I've never had a chance to try one out.

2. dudebtr

dudebtr

Apr 22, 2001
    Tampa Bay FL
    Hi Sammy,

I've had an AMB1 for about a year now in flame maple. They are pretty tough to find. Seattle was the only place I discovered to have any for sale. I have never seen any others outside of Bass Player mag.

It is a well-made short scale. This one was made in Japan; I would guess all other AMB1's are as well. Workmanship was flawless. I'll be keeping this one for sure.

I like the stringing through the body, high-mass bridge and the wide tonal range BassLines PU. It's pretty light with a basswood body. I put Schaller strap locks on it to keep it secure. There are two strap positions on the bottom for changing the hang quickly. The tuners are easy yet firm.

The classic Armstrong body style is very comfortable and easy to handle. Controls are simple to use and responsive, especially the single/parallel switch for the Seymour Duncan Basslines 4. No hums, buzzes, or rattles detected thus far.

The biggest question about getting this bass is probably, "Do I really like playing a short scale?" An item that makes it fun to play is that the neck radius feels very comfortable and the strings are spaced very similar to most long-scales. My Epi Viola (another short scale) is definitely tighter in neck width and string spacing.

bebi likes this.
  3. Wow dude! How does it feel to belong to what appears to be the smallest membership group in the universe? Ampeg bass owners!

I've been a user and believer of Ampeg amps for almost 40 years. I'd love to try out one of these Ampeg basses, but, I can't find one anywhere, nor can I find out anything about them. Yours is the first post that I've found.

Thanks!

4. dudebtr

dudebtr

Apr 22, 2001
    Tampa Bay FL
    I think you're right Sammy. Ampeg is still a bomb to be reckoned with out there. Their amps are pretty much bullet proof with that rich thunder tone.

I'm still thumpin on the Ampeg AMB1. Just glad I scooped it from BASS NW in Seattle last year. It was a must have the first time I saw it advertised in the BP mag. From time to time, ya gotta grab a dream grail. Getting great tone range when hooked up to my Eden Nemesis 210.

Later Mon,

Dude

5. dudebtr

dudebtr

Apr 22, 2001
    Tampa Bay FL
    Another bomb pic from BASS NW the grail factory.

Dude

6. Is it ok to come in as a transparent Ampeg bass owner?

:D

I have a smoked transparent Ampeg Bass with the removable pickups, its a real nice bass, real solid. It has a nice tone with either pickup. I don't play it a ton because I don't want to scratch it and it has a smaller scale than the bass I usually play. I will go to play a minor third and end up playing major because to the scale. Still love it.:)

7. dudebtr

dudebtr

Apr 22, 2001
    Tampa Bay FL
    Sure lucite Member's, cmon in, the water is fine. Good enough for Geezer Butler in Black Sabbath and always a show bomb fav of the Dude. Here it is.

8. dudebtr

dudebtr

Apr 22, 2001
    Tampa Bay FL
    I think a couplea Rott's are posted outside this practice room. From the Dude's Wayback Machine.

9. the clear Ampeg was high on my list when I started making money, finally got one, the newer ones have a notch in the body so you can pull the pickup out with out detuning it, also make a nice thumb rest. Of all the bass "investments";) I have made these have a price that seems to keep climbing steady. I got mine for $500 and looks like I could sell it for more than that already.

10. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Guitar-Villa (Bethlehem PA?) has a Black Cherry one for $669 :D

11. bastom

bastom

Feb 15, 2006
    Belgium
  12. Nothing like a good [SIZE=-1]resurrection[/SIZE]. :D

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Oh, it had pictures, over six years ago!!! :p I think there are a couple of other AMB-1 threads with pics in the past as well, if you feel like disinterring them. ;)

14. It only took Jesus 3 days....:bag:

Here we have almost 7 years :p

15. bebi

bebi Bass is low man Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Fredrikstad, Norway
    And here we are 2016; 8 years further down the road: IMG_20161008_184205.jpg
    IMG_20161008_184246.jpg

Here is mine; just got it about a month ago; pick guard was missing and body was chipped
    Controls were noisy..
    but neck was straight and sound was great.
    So I cleaned the pots
    stripped and painted and rocked up the body
    matt sanded the neck

Really a first class short scale! A dream to play and a powerful pickup!

It looked like this once :
    ampeg rosa.jpg
    And I´m not into pink flake finishes ;-)

Wfrance3 and SirMjac28 like this.
  16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Nice

bebi likes this.
  17. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    It's hard to believe that these basses are getting old now. I remember when they were introduced in 1998; I was working with Ampeg/St Louis Music at the time. I don't remember when they were discontinued, but it was around 2003. Not many were made; I think about 200.

bebi likes this.
  18. bebi

Sep 26, 2014
    Fredrikstad, Norway
    Interesting number; how on earth did a pink flake one end up in Norway? I suspect someone bought it just for the looks (for a TV-show maybe?) and then it survived because it was nice to play, but not what you would like to be seen with on stage....PINK?

19. bebi

Sep 26, 2014
    Fredrikstad, Norway
    mine is #DA00090014.....made 1990 number 14?

20. bebi

Sep 26, 2014
    Fredrikstad, Norway
    I bought it dead cheap by the way; its serving as my backup- and my fretted-bass. The neck is very similar shaped to my fretless Spector.