Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg, BBE, or Sansamp Pre amp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Oct 1, 2004.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Which pre is the best value? i know they dont all cost the same but here is what ive got going.

Power amp, soon to buy.
    Fender P bass special PJ pickups, badass II bridge.
    And i play in a blues, rock band.

The Ampeg SVP-CL or BS.
    BBE BMAX
    BBE BMAX T
    Sansamp, i dont know the model but its the rack pre amp.

do you have any of these or played them?? im looking for a warm overdriven when wanted kinda sound.

any suggestions?

>hanus<

2. there are price differences in those pres though.

ampeg pre- 499
    bbe b-max-299
    bbe b-max t 599
    sans-amp RBI-299

i have heard that the ampegs have bad output (not enough volume)

i have heard absolutly great things about the bbe b-max the ss one, thats the one i would choose (im in a blues/rock band also

the b-max t probably has a great sopund but is a little expensive

the rbi is spost to have a good distortion sound ( this probably wouldnt be ggod for blues)

3. Assuming the SVP-CL is very similar to the SVP-Pro, I'd choose the Ampeg over the Sansamp for that 'warm overdriven when wanted' sound. The Ampeg just sounded better to me, seemed to have a larger variety of tones, and had more controllable overdrive.

I don't have any experience with the BBE stuff so I won't comment on them.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If you're interested in "warm overdriven", I'm curious as to why you didn't add the the SVP-Pro to the list. I've never tried the SVP-CL, but from what I've read here it doesn't have the overdrive capability of the SVP-Pro.

The SansAmp RBI also does overdrive well, but it tends to be a brighter, crisper variety. That can be fixed easily by changing EQ settings... but in a "warm and phat" battle, the SVP-Pro will win every time.

5. Go for the ampeg if you want a lot of noise and crackling/distorted output when you least expect t!

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you want clean & fast with gobs of bass available, go BMax.

If you want punchy and very versatile (clean SS to warm tubey OD), go SA RBI.

If you want phat low end, clean, & fast with balanced & smooth tubey tone, go BMax-T.

If you want thick, OD, & tubey, go SVP-Pro.

[These are somewhat gross generalizations, but will give a quixk snapshot of the essense of each unit.]

7. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    which of the ampegs are most availbe on the second hand market?

i dont see many SVP CL, but i do see a few BSP

>hanus<

8. I doubt you'll find as many SVP-CLs on the used market as they're a relatively new product... there are a fair number of SVP-Pros out there that you'd be able to find.

I think the BSP is a solid state pre with a different kind of sound, isn't it? I've never played one.

9. SVP pro is the most widely available second hand Ampeg preamp that I'm aware of. I see the SVT II preamp once in a while also.

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I always see ALOT of SVP-Pro's on EBay, along w/ the occasionaly SVP-BSP.

11. soundwave

soundwave

Oct 2, 2004
    I like the SANSAMP RBI very much. I have tried many, many amps & preamps over the last 35 years but this setup sounds better to me than anything else I tried.
    I use sansamp RBI with a Yorkville A4.4 power amp. Clean, clear, punchy, fat, distortion, deep or any variation in between. Of course, the 2400 watts of the A4.4 gives plenty of headroom to let the sansamp shine.
    Also the separate send to main mixer is really handy - you can give the soundman your exact sound rather than depending on him to get it right with the FOH processing.
    Michael