1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg: Better buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Waspinators, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    I'm soon going to get a job to save up for my first real bass rig, and I decided that the Ampeg B410 amps should be great for my needs and budget. I've narrowed it down to these two rigs:

B2RE head with B410HLF cab
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-B2RE-Bass-Head-and-B410HLF-4x10-Half-Stack?sku=481727

or

B1RE head with B410HE cab
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-B1RE-Bass-Head-and-B410HE-4x10-Half-Stack?sku=481728

Is it worth it to spend the extra $200 to get the B2RE/B410HLF? It has much more power, a graphic EQ, and the ports on the HLF allow for better lows. But I've heard from some people that the difference between the two is very little, and that buying a 4 ohm cab is a bad idea. What do you all think?

2. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    Better put this in the Amps thread...

3. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    Oops, sorry about that I thought I posted in the amps forum...

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Guitar Center for some reason on their used site has a ton of US Ampeg US made gear in AWESOME shape for dirt cheap.

I got a SVT Classic and a 410HLF both US made and in great shape for 1000.00 (yes both). The head usually costs that used alone at a good deal.

Other than the Skunkworks deal on here that was posted, the deal I got is almost unheard of.

5. Did they just radically downgrade the 410HE? The link up their says it's power handling is 200W RMS / 400W peak and that it has a 3 position selector for the horn. Mine says 500W RMS / 1000W program and has an L-pad attenuator.

Anyway, I don't think you are going to like the cheaper choice. That cab takes a fair amount of power to get any sound out of, if the head is 300 watts at 4 ohms it's probably more like 200 or so at 8. Combined with a not so efficient cab you might struggle a bit for headroom.

And for what it's worth I'd look used, for a thousand bucks you can put together a real nice rig if you spend some time looking around. Much nicer than either of those options.

6. ampeg!

7. Ah, I looked in to it. I have the classic series 410HE. SVT410HE. I take it the B410HE is the budget version of the budget version. Don't buy that thing. Buy something used. Seriously.

8. SERPENT865

SERPENT865

Jan 1, 2007
    Wichita , KS
    G-K and Cavin

9. Alcyon

Alcyon

Jan 15, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    The CLASSIC 410HLF is one of the best if not THE best cab that Ampeg makes imo, but the B410HLF might be from the budget series and I would avoid that at all costs. If it isn't Classic series, you're better off with GK Neo cabs or something like that. I also think the graphic EQs really add a lot of headroom to the Ampeg solid state heads.

10. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I play alot of clubs and I use a Ampeg 410he along with a Ampeg 350h.
    The 350h is pretty much the same as a B2R head . It just mounted in a SVT box.
    It's a great set-up.
    A greand is a bit pricy though.
    You can get the head for around $280 and the cab for $350.
    Buying used saves you $400 and some change.
    Enough to buy a used Danelectro Longhorn.
    What else could you want.

11. Since Loud Technologies (ie: Mackie) purchased Ampeg, I've noticed a decline in craftmanship, epecially in the cabs. Try to find a used USA Ampeg rig. I've had my SVT410HE for 5 years and not a single problem.

12. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    How's a used Ampeg SVT-410HLF for $330?