1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Big Stud - plywood ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimfriar, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Does anyone know if the Ampeg Big Stud bass from the 70's is plywood ? If so - then why do they get so much when sold ? One on Ebay went for about $675 awhile ago - and I have seen others listed at dealers with similar prices ? Are they decent basses ?

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    :bag: vintage

One of those "hey look what I got and you don't" basses. They sound really flat but with proper EQ'ing they aren't really bad......

Just buy a Mexican P-Bass or find one the newer made in Japan Dan Armstrong AMB basses that are solid bodies.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    When I was a teenager, a shop gave me one on loan. I thought it was the best bass imaginable!:D

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, plywood. The prices are 100% because they are "vintage" and "rare".

Bill Whitehurst and Laurent like this.
  5. JanSpeeltBas

JanSpeeltBas

Jul 22, 2007
    Netherlands
    The Big Stud retailed for about $350, rather a lot for a plywood bass...it was made by Tokai (Kasuga International) and was also marketed by Martin as the Sigma SBB2-8 and by Gretsch under the Dorado brand.

6. diptixon

diptixon

Oct 29, 2004
    Atlanta
    I had one, bought it for 50 bucks at a flea market on Long Island in the late 70's... sold it about 5 years later for $150. It was pretty crappy but had the name 'Ampeg' on the headstock so.. there ya go...

Hurricane Jimmie likes this.
  7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Yes, they are made from laminated wood. I had one in the late '70s. It had a fat neck and sounded fine but it was very heavy.

8. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I used to have the Heavy Stud....the guitar version. There was more glue in that puppy then a glue factory!

But you could drive your car over it and it would break your car!

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw

Agreed, the Big Stud would make a great speedbump. ;)

10. HOOLIGAN

HOOLIGAN

Dec 21, 2007
    Cowtown, USA
    Do you consider all laminates "plywood"? Is that "bad"?
    I've got a '77 Ibanez Ric copy that may be
    considered "plywood" since it has a laminate maple w/ walnut
    wings neck, and a birch/mahogany sandwich body-
    That glue is nowhere near coming apart after 30+ years-
    And the tone is "heavier" than any 1 piece neck/ 1 piece
    body bass I've ever owned-

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    In my humble opinion, all basses can find those who love them.

GreyEagle and scourgeofgod like this.
  12. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    First electric bass I ever played, it belonged to my junior high school band - that was in the early 80s, and I'm sure it was bought brand new, it had been around for what seemed forever then, but of course 15 years now doesn't seem long at all. It was a HEAVY sucker, and I hated playing it because it was *so* uncool with all that chrome and bulk, nothing at all like what Steve Harris would play :), But it was admittedly light years better than the first bass I owned a couple of years later, which was a Sears Harmony P bass rip-off, candy apple red with a black pickguard and a maple neck. *that* neck was like a pencil in comparison.

The amp the school owned was an old Traynor 50 watt combo that must have weighed 75 pounds, with a big old 15" speaker - sounded really fat and pleasantly distorted when you rolled it up past 3 with that Big Stud laying it down! My 13 year old self was the unfortunate picture of school band uncool carting that gear around, but I was happy nonetheless because I was playing music.

Did the Big Stud have abalone blocks or pearl dots? I can't remember.

Anyone have pictures???

13. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Blocks. Here's a pic from the 'net. Mine was natural with a white MOTS pickguard and pickup surrounds.

[​IMG]

BTW, I have the Traynor Bassmaster (and a MarkII) and still use them from time to time. Great sounding amps.

14. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    That's exactly like the one that I used. Awesome, thanks for the pic! Brings back memories! :crying:

I'd love to see your natural one!

15. Just had my Big Stud out playing it a couple of days ago. It's just a really "goofy collectable, but draws lots of attention when I take it to a gig. I've been offered $600 for it, so will probably sell it one of these days.

16. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    It's made of wood and has strings, so it may also be considered a puppet.

[​IMG]

HawldieMPB likes this.
  17. I bought my Big Stud @ a record store (Sam Goodys) for $139.00 including a really cool hardshell case! That was back in '74 & was my second bass. I kept it & recorded with it until I gave it to a friend as a wedding gift to give to his wife around '87. BIG MISTAKE!!! :crying:
    The action was a bit high & stiff, but I loved the controls & got a great sound in recording studios (no hum problems, even with the 6 effects pedals I used back then).
    I had read that the bass was made by Tokai & was made of laminated plywood. I've seen posts countering that, but I really can't say. I just knew it was a really great, cheap (costwise) bass!
    The shot was from '80 at Kajem Studio.

Attached Files:

18. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Your profile say's you're in Philly and you want another Ampeg Big Stud. I was in Philly several weeks ago and stopped at a few places and I saw one. I think it was at Society Hill Music and Pawn. You might want to give them a call.

19. Thanks! I'm on it!