Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Blue Amplificateur QUESTIONS! Smart and experienced people: read and advise!e!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by register2, May 16, 2004.

1. register2

register2

Nov 15, 2003
    I'm going to be joining a band that tours frequently soon, and was considering ditching my tube head (ampeg b-25b) and 4x10 setup for something a little more road friendly. I want to keep something warm and good for recording, but something light and portable, and was trying to decide, assuming money was no issue (ha ha!), between an Ampeg B-15R tube fliptop combo, or an Ampeg B-100R solidstate Rocketbass amp. Any thoughts? Thanky kindly.

2. Okay, first off, don't get rid of your B-25B or you'll regret it later. Keep it for recording. You'll know how right I am as you get older.

B15R won't be any louder, and it'll be more of a pain in the butt to carry around than the B25B. I don't know if a B100R would be loud enough, but I could be wrong. I'd look for a (2) used heads to mate up with your current 4x10, that way you'd always have a spare with you. Since they aren't en vogue, you can get a couple of Peavey heads or something similar used for cheap.

In other words, for touring on the road, I'd rather have 2 decent amps than one really nice one. That way if one fails, you've got the other one.

Chris

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    600 watts minimum. Period.

4. register2

register2

Nov 15, 2003
    Thank you very much for your advice, I really appreciate it. I think that getting a cheap s/s head as a backup sounds great. I'm not sure how the fliptop would be harder to transport than the head/cab setup, could anybody elaborate? I, however, do not personally see myself as needing 600w. It seems like sometimes we bass players get a little bit of anxiety about our roll in the band, and overcompensate with volume. I've been using my 50w tube head for about 2 years, and have played plenty of parties and small to medium sized clubs and bars, and it's worked fine for me. Any larger venue would have no choice but to mic/DI it, so I am not clear on the use of hundreds and hundreds of watts. Is it for playing stadiums that are not equipped with a PA? I am not trying to be a jerk, I am honestly wondering. Thanks!

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The more wattage the better. It is about clarity, not volume. The older Ampeg tube amps put out a ton of volume for the wattage. You may want to look into an Ampeg B-series head.

6. Munji always claims some huge number is the bare minimum. Now it's 600Watts, it used to be 300Watts. I think as he loses his hearing that number keeps going up. If he'd just kept it at 100Watts years ago he probably wouldn't be going deaf! :D

Tube stuff usually sounds louder for a given wattage, so that is one of the reasons you've been able to hang with your 55 Watts of 7027A power (I love my B25B too and it's perfect for jamming.) If you wanted to match that B25B volume with solid state, you'd probably have to go with 100 Watts or 150 Watts.

Too many bassists think you need Kilowatts of power in an amp before it even justifies using it for practice. It's ridiculous. Save your ears.

Chris

7. If he's liking the sound he's getting from his B25B, then his sound probably ain't about clarity. :D It's about fatness and sounding good in the mix.

Chinkety chink chink kaplink bonk sounds bad.

Boomety boom boom sounds good.

Chris

8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Things is, your boom boom boom might sound like fart fart fart to someone else.

9. Yep, it most likely does.

Chris