Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg BSE 410-HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gamorrah-Bass, May 8, 2005.

1. Gamorrah-Bass

Gamorrah-Bass

Apr 5, 2005
    I was just wondering everybody's opinion on this 4x10. I know it has extended low range (36Hz). How much low end does that add? Does it compromise the 4x10 clarity? How does it sound overall? Anything and everything.

2. Gamorrah-Bass

Gamorrah-Bass

Apr 5, 2005
    Anybody?

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'm not impressed by it. Its an OK sounding cab that is far quieter than its power rating and size hint at. As will all Ampeg cabs you pay way more for the name on the front than the quality of the cab itself.

4. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    I had the 410 and the 610 HLF.

Liked 'em both.

The 610 is closer to the standard 810 (more throaty) while the 410 has a bigger bottom end.

I switched to the Berg 610 for portability and ease of hauling.

5. I had the chance to play through one of the 410 cabs at a reggae gig a while back and it was perfect for the job. For anything else I would probably end up cutting a bunch of that bass tone anyway.

6. Koushaku

Koushaku The artist never sleeps, only dreams

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I have one of these cabs, I think it's pretty good, nice low end...but I think it's a little overpriced. If you find it used for a decent price I say it could be a good buy, but if I had the choice I wouldn't have bought it new(I was still new to amps and cabs at the time).

7. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I owned mine about 4 yrs ago. But I thought the BSE and the HLF were 2 different cabs. IIRC, I first bought the BSE 4x10 8ohms, this cab had the sort of shiny silver, soft, front grill. I took it back for the HLF 4x10 with the black, soft, front grill, 4 ohms and had kickback type handle w/ 2 casters. Maybe I am not recalling the names correctly just thought these insignias were of 2 different cabs. Anyway, the 4 ohm HLF cab had really big bottom with my GK 1001RBI, but somehow I ended up blowing out 2 seperate 10" speakers at a couple of gigs. Still I did enjoy the sound of the cab although it was a bit cumbersome to load in car, but moved around on flat surface just fine, just lean it back and push or pull it.

8. Koushaku

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    it's BSE and SVT...I actually have an SVT 410HLF, then there is the BSE 410HLF

9. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Good point. I've never heard the BSE 410HLF. Both of my cabs were SVT (410HLF and 610HLF.)

10. dancinDaveNY

dancinDaveNY

Sep 27, 2001
    Western NY
    I have the BSE-410HLF and also the BSE-115 that goes with it underneath. I power them with an '89 SVT II just like TB member "i_got_a_mohawk" has. I love the sound I get from mine on stage. It's punchy and I hear my notes well with a relatively loud stage volume from the other players; 2 guitarists, 1 with 100 watt Marshall w/ 4x12 cab and another with Boogie XXX Rectifier w/ Boogie 2x12 cab and they both play Lexicon MPX foot switched/rackmount/multi-effects preamps plus+++!!! a double kick drummer that hits VERY hard. We play a large club in Rochester, NY that holds 500+ people and there's a soundman that comes from the old 80s hair band days working the board there. He's done plenty of larger tours, has lots of experience and he loves my BSE cabs, says they're his favorite to mic and they don't mess up his mix from my stage volume. We've played some nights where the crowd was kind of sparse and he asked me to unplug my bottom cab which I did with no argument. After the show he said that I really didn't need the 15" cab, the 4x10 with P.A. support covered the room fine. The BSE-410HLF has a bottom port and that really brings out the low end, so much so that I don't need a larger speaker to carry the low end. Now that's just one soundman's opinion but I'm real happy with my 4x10. I liked the price too! I think I got both cabs new for less than $700. Nice!
    <smiles> dD

11. I've read quite a few remarks about the SVT 410HLF having MUCH MORE low end than the BSE 410HLF. I haven't compared them myself, though. But these are supposed to be two totally different sounding cabs.

12. Koushaku

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Who has tried both models? I am now interested to hear opinions about the SVT versus the BSE.

13. The subject has come up in a few reviews I've read on Harmony-Central, Musicians Friend, etc... A few people said they tried both in the store and the SVT 410HLF had MUCH more low end. Some of those folks said the BSE 410 doesn't have enough low end to use as a standalone cab.

I'm only quoting what I've read. I don't know if it's true. I did just pick up an SVT 410HLF today, though. :)

Chris

14. Koushaku

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Then I'm happy I have an SVT :)

15. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2013
    south Louisiana
    Somebody a long way away wants to sell a BSE410H for a hundred bucks. Might be able to get a person sorta close to get it... timing is everything, so they say, and he is moving and wants to ditch it.
    Is this a good cab? jimmyM? other vets?
    fnord!
    (sorry about the continual GAS)

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    For $100 I'd at least check it out.

17. fnordlyone

Jun 12, 2013
    south Louisiana
    jimmy,
    have you ever heard the cab? Can't go there, but someone might be able to pick it, up unheard.
    thanks,
    fnord!

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Been years, but I have. Wish I could remember details.

19. fnordlyone

Jun 12, 2013
    south Louisiana
    right on, jimmy, my heart's still with the 70's tilt back 8x10, but always gassing around.

20. I've had my BSE410HLF since 2004. I have used various basses through it but primarily I use a Lakland 5 string and it sounds great. Originally I used the Ampeg B2RE and it was a nice pairing. Nowadays I use the SVT 7 Pro and getting more punch. Great cab that has served me very well through the years with various genres of music.