Ampeg BSE ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AllodoX, Dec 11, 2001.

1. I've been looking around for a nice set of a 4x10 and 1x15..

i noticed the Ampeg BSE-410H and BSE-115.. they're pretty cheap, are 200w each ( perfect for my 400w amp ) and have steel grill ( personal demand )...

Any of you guys own BSE cab(s) ? please tell me all your experience with these..
  2. I had the BSE 4x10 and did not like it at all. I used it with a Eden WT300 and it did not sound good at volumn. The cabinet would start "farting out" before I could get any real volumn out of it. The "Classic" series of cabinets are not much more expensive and are of much higher quality.
  3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Never heard one, but if the published specs are accurate, it is really, really inefficient for a 4x10, claiming 95 dB to the watt at 1m. That (on paper) means that say, 200 watts through the BSE would be no louder than 20 watts through an Eden 4x10Xlt (which claims 106dB sensitivity). Whoa.
  4. Like.. you're comparing pork with beef here..

The 410XLT is about tripple the price and capacity of the BSE-410HE..

b.t.w. who says i want big volume ? :)
  5. At low volumn my 4x10 didn't sound bad, although the horn was very noisey. If I remember the Classic was about $100 more.
  6. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    played the 410 and 115 stacked together in a store once. just about cried it was so bad. My equipment isnt pro grade by any means, but it put this thing to shame. The speakers farted at any volume with my B string, and when the head (350 watts) was turned past noon any note below low A sounded terrible. just didnt have any balls.
  7. The only BSE cab that is any good is the 410 hlf. This one has the same speakers as the Classic, but just has the diff. cab. Good sound in my opinion, but I would stay away from the other BSE cabs.

8. I was looking at that cab too a little bit ago and decided on going with the Classic SVT410HE. Just like the sound a bit better and for the specs it wasn't much more
  9. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    I wasn't comparing them, I was just trying to illustrate how quiet the 410HE is. I like headroom :D
    The BSE-410 HLF, as jim said, is a good cab with much better speakers than the HE.
  10. I might take a look at the SVT's.. but they don't have iron grill in front of the speakers, so i'd have to get small grills myself..

iron grill is 100 % demand for me.. the guitarist's roady is very rude with gear.. and i don't want to get my speakers damaged coz of some stand that was poked in it.
  11. where can you get these grills..I'd be very interested in getting some for my SVT..always afraid when we transport it.
  12. Most hardwarestores and musicstores should have them..

13. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Check out the BSE-410HLF, it's very similar to the SVT 410HLF, except it has a steel grill. :)
  14. i'm not going for the HLF's.. i though i made that pretty clear ;)
  15. atlboriqua

Nov 13, 2007
    I own one and it is okay. I have a hard time getting good volume out of it and it doesn't get as loud as I'd like. For gigs I have to practically stand right in front of it to hear it over the drums and electric guitar. Now granted I was competing with a Marshall Half Stack, but either way its not the best.

Tone wise I have to say I like it. It reproduces my SWR 750x nicely and the tone is full.

If you are doing smaller gigs then it would do the job.