Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg BSE410 HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by virtual.ray, Apr 3, 2001.

1. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I'd appreciate hearing from any owners of this cab,preferably in use at gigs with a 5 string.I tried it tonight with a Warwick FNA 5 and was favorably impressed and am thinking of getting it,although the try out was at a store with no drums etc.Thanks.

2. Ankles

Ankles

Jan 6, 2001
    BostonMA
    I use 2 of them with a SVT4 PRo. I am very happy with them. I only use both on larger gigs. For the most part I use just one. Occasional I use my 5 string. With the extended low end Frq.response it reproduces beautifully. Can't say enough about it.

THe only issue is the weight of it. If you dont mind lugging around a small refrigerator size box, than its worth it for the tone.

3. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Thanks for the reply.Yeah,the size /weight thing is my only real hesitation point.Damn those laws of physics!!! My Acme gets very good low bass and is portable,but not loud enough for larger rooms.I had the walls shaking the other night with that Ampeg.but I wonder how long it'll take before I'm sick of trying to get it back into my Saturn at 2:30 in the morning...

4. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    "How do you like your saturn?" HaHa. My Mom knew this lady with a saturn that broke down right at the peak of that slogan, and people who passed by were yelling "How do you like your saturn now!" HaHa. Your post reminded me of that story so I thought I'd post it.

5. Ankles

Ankles

Jan 6, 2001
    BostonMA
    Friday night I thought of your post. I used just 1 of my 4x10s. The club had there own sound system and it used large bass bins. The presence of my cab was so solid that the sound man just used a "smidge" of my direct sound and relied mainly on my cab because ti fille dthe room so nicley.

One more note on the size. If you do go with this cab you might want some type of protective cover for transport. I need one because the thing is so awkward that it gets nicked easily.

See ya.

6. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Assman,was that a local slogan in your area? I missed that one,I only remember the "Different kind of Company" line. FWIW I'm on my 4th one! Not because the others broke down,I just like 'em.They're coming out with an SUV type vehicle in Sept. Maybe I'll wait a while on the bigger cabs...

7. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    No, it was slogan from a few years ago. What size is your acme, and how big of rooms are we talking about? Can't your P.A. do most of the work? The last gig I played, I brought my Carvin 2x10 combo and a 15" extension cab, and I hardly needed the P.A. There were 6 other bands that played too, and every other bass player there either didn't have or didn't bring an amp more powerful than 150 watts, so they used the P.A. and most of them came across clearer in the mix, and sounded better. So I pretty much hauled a bunch of crap (down stairs too) I didn't need. It wasn't that big of a concert though, but it was still good sized crowd.