Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg BSE410HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sundogue, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I just picked up a brand new Ampeg BSE410HLF.

I went to the music store with my Eden WT400 head and my bass, and tried it out in one of their "testing rooms" and cranked it up.

I compared the BSE410HLF and the SVT410HLF. I couldn't really discern much of a noticable difference between the two in regards to tone or volume. Both kicked some serious booty.

The BES410HLF won out because of it being smaller, with four removable casters, and the power handling was similar and it was $100 less.

Very nice cab. My first Ampeg. Great stuff.

2. gattigang

gattigang

Feb 14, 2006
    VaBeach
    sweet! I too had that problem deciding which of the 2 cabs to buy. My deciding factor was the covering although I wished mine came with the metal grill that comes with the BSE. Both of these cabs ROCK.

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I thought about it...and even if I had gotten the SVT410, I would have made a custom metal grill for it. I"d never trust my speakers to a cloth grill...ever.

This is the first brand-spankin'-new cab I've ever bought. Over the last 25+ years, I've always bought used.

I can't wait to play through it at home over the weekend and at practice next week, and my first gig with it next Friday (which is a huge St.Patrick's day gig for the band at a pretty good sized club). My 210 cab would have never handled that gig decently.

Right now it's just sitting in the back seat of my car...waiting for me. ;)

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I am really impressed with the sound of this cab.

Having never owned any new cabs (always bought used), it is so nice to hear a cab that is as articulate as this.

I know there are plenty of other cabs as good and better than this, but I am thrilled to be hearing what I've been missing for so long.

Running my Eden WT400 flat, the low end bass response is full and deep, but not boomy. I mean, with my other cabs the low end was there, but with this one...it's like a punch in the chest kind of low end. Best of all, it's tight. There is absolutely no mushiness...every low note is distinct.

The mids are crisp and focused without being irritating. With all my other old cabs, I'd keep the mids up to cut through, but they always sounded a bit like honking. This cab pushes the mids in a way that just gives the notes presence. The mids seem to just help define the notes rather than make them annoying. It's like when you practice alone and you want to scoop the mids, but then when you play out you want to boost them to cut through the mix. For the first time I don't want to cut the mids when playing through this cab by myself. I actually like how the mids sound from this cab.

The tweeter on this cab gives the highs some bite...not it's not that harshness I've experienced from my other cabs that forced me to turn down the tweeter. When I play some high notes in subtle runs, the notes just sound so "sweet". There is some zing in my roundwound sound that I was missing before. But it's not that super buzzing, clickity-clack type of high end.

All across the spectrum, my P-Bass has never sounded brighter, or more distinct and solid. The BSE410HLF is a great little 410 that gives me that solid "punch" I desire.

Practice isn't until Tuesday night, so I won't know how it sounds with the full band. But just in comparison to what I had (and what I've owned over the years) this cab is a major improvement. I'm just curious as to how much of an improvement it is when playing with the whole band.

Anyone else out there play through the Ampeg BSE410HLF? I compared it to the SVT version when I tried this one out and they sounded very similar...so if you have the SVT version, I'd like to hear your thoughts on that as well.

5. jwaugh

jwaugh

Feb 26, 2006
    West Virginia
    I love my SVT410HLF ... heavy as sh__, but play thru it for a couple hours and you feel like you've been body-punched by Ali ... only problem I have now is that I took a great deal on a B2RE amp which is a *bit* underpowered for the cab. Saving for a more powerful tube amp, but for now, this does fine for smaller clubs ... never played thru the BSE, so can't offer a compare.

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I played both of them side by side and came to the conclusion that there were no real discernable tone or power differences.

So the BSE won out because of it's smaller size, 4 casters on the bottom, steel speaker grill and it being $100 less. If I would have gone the SVT cab route for the extra money...I would have just spent the extra $200 and gotten the 610.

Yeah...body punched...good way to describe it!!!

I use an Eden WT400 (which is what I brought with me to the tryout). It has a great tube pre-amp...and it's 400 watts into this 4 ohm cab.

Though I'm really starting to like Ampeg's quality...and their SVT-Pro amps look and sound awesome. I tried a few of them out while I was there. As much as I love my Eden, I'm having some GAS for the Ampeg SVT-Pro line of amps!!!

7. thrashermatt

thrashermatt

Jan 26, 2006
    western mass
    i have one and love it!

8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    The cab, or an Ampeg SVT Pro head? Either one, I'm sure would make you happy.

I really love the tube heads by Ampeg. I am seriously GASsing for maybe the SVT-2Pro.

I really have to forget about that for a while though. I still need to pay off the cab. The cab is wonderful. It's so nice to hear myself now. I keep trying to find an adjective that describes Ampeg's cabs. It's like getting...SLAMMED! Every note sounds and feels like you get hit in the chest. I never realized how damned good they were.

I had one of the original SVT heads way back in the 70's, but never any of their cabs. I wish I had.

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    The cab, or an Ampeg SVT Pro head? Either one, I'm sure would make you happy.

I really love the tube heads by Ampeg. I am seriously GASsing for maybe the SVT-2Pro.

I really have to forget about that for a while though. I still need to pay off the cab. The cab is wonderful. It's so nice to hear myself now. I keep trying to find an adjective that describes Ampeg's cabs. It's like getting...SLAMMED! Every note sounds and feels like you get hit in the chest. I never realized how damned good they were.

I had one of the original SVT heads way back in the 70's, but never any of their cabs. I wish I had played through one before now.

10. thrashermatt

thrashermatt

Jan 26, 2006
    western mass
    yes, i have the cab, i'm using an svt350h with it, the head seems to be underpowering though because i have to turn the limiter off and crank it high in order to compete at shows

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'm using a 400 watt Eden WT400, but I did also try it out with an Ampeg SVT-2PRO...and it was truly awesome.

I had forgotten how tube amps just slam you. Made me drool for the Ampeg head too.

One thing I did with my head was cut the bass on the EQ of my head and boosted the EQ at about 180 Hz. I'm able to really crank it that way. Try cutting the bass on your amp and try to boost somewhere between 165 to 220 Hz. It won't drive your head so hard...and you should be able to turn your head up even higher without inducing the limiter.

Low bass frequencies (like below 120 Hz) really rob a lot of power from your amp, for very little noticable gain. Whereas those other frequencies really put out some serious low end without pushing your amp so hard. It's something you would especially notice more live, on stage.

12. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I finally got a chance to play through this cab with the full band.

Awesome...VERY tight low end. No mud...tight, crisp, defined bass that just slams you in the chest.

Best of all...Lots of headroom. I didn't even get the volume (Master) up past 3, and it was cranking.

The whole band even noticed how much more full and tight my sound was.

Very cool.

13. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I played through my BSE410HLF Friday night on a gig.

Not only did it sound awesome, but it did so with my amp set at less than half the output I needed with either of my two other cabs (home made 210 and a Peavey 410TXF).

Ampeg must be using very efficient speakers and/or tune their cabs in such a way to put out the volume, while maintaining the outstanding tone.

I was using the same amphead, yet my band kept telling me to turn down (now that's a first for me in this band). I obliged them only because I was having too much fun cranking it out. :D

It was so punchy, clean and loud...with tons of headroom. Ampeg makes a killer and reasonably priced 410 in the BSE410HLF.

14. crazyhorse

crazyhorse

May 28, 2006
    i just recently bought a BSE410HLF

mine dosent have the metal grill, guess its a new design, anyways.....

can you guys give me some eq settings help, i have a Hartke model 2000 amp, its only pushing 200 watts and the cab is rated for 400

15. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    I'll likely be picking the BSE410HLF wednesday! I'm really excited, and Sundogue's reviews are making me even more excited to hear what this is going to sound like at practice!!!

So, I'm assuming since my BL600 is 300watts @ 4 ohms this cab will be a good, punchy match for it?
    Coool!!

16. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    There's a couple differences between the SVT and the BSE obviously or there wouldn't be two products. As long as you are running "Smaller" Tube and SS amps you will not see much difference, but the SVT has higher power rated speakers.

When powered with a tube SVT or something like an SVT-4PRO the SVT cab can get massively loud and move TONS of air. The 4PRO will punish two SVT-410HLF cabs and make more noise than an 810 cab. But they do sound different (410 v 810)

As long as you're doing what you are now, you'll be a happy camper. If you have larger aspirations like two cabs with a much larger head thats when the SVT shines.

Welcome to AMPEG. BOB

PS a B2R is a doorstop.

17. microknee

microknee

Aug 28, 2007
    Houston, TX
    This is all very good to know--thanks for the report.

I have a SVT410HLF that I've been using almost exclusively for the past three years, and it's the same with me when I'm using it with my SVT-CL head... I rarely ever get the master volume above 3. Only in bigger venues, outdoor shows... or when the tubes are wearing down. :)