Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg BT Model? 70s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by until.tomorrow, Apr 16, 2004.

1. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    I just received my “new” practice head today to go atop my Carvin 410 for my apartment. It is an old solid state Ampeg bt but I’m not sure of the model. On the schematic inside it says BT-25, BT-25L, and BT-140. Just curious if anyone knew which one this was (from the posted pictures and url link) or what year it is from? The serial number on the back is 088777.

Also when playing it for a longer period of time the heat sinks on the back seem to heat up a lot. I was wondering if I should be concerned about this or if there was a way I could install a fan (mostly just finding a wire with the correct voltage).

Check out more pictures of it at here http://people.msoe.edu/~gerkea/amp/amp.htm

Thanks!

2. Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. How does it sound? Most tube amps from the 70's sound cool and most early solid state amps from the 60's and 70's did not.

3. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    The sound is Huge! I turn the volume to 10-11 o clock and it shakes my whole room and the rooms next to me!!!

The sound is simple and easy to dial in with only a Treble and Bass control.

I've found that playing with the ulta hi off and ultra bass on with the treble at 11 o clock and the bass at 12 o clock which gives my MM Sterling a nice jazzy tone which is A-O-K in my books

I might even use it during a smaller gig... I'm not the strongest of individuals so I hate touting around rack.

4. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    So from the serial number (088777) and blue writing on the face plate along with the help of http://users.aol.com/bluemuse/dating.html I came the conclusion that the amp is from 1969.

I still haven’t found out which model it is out of the three (BT-25, BT-25L, or BT-140)

If anyone could help it's be most appreciative.

Thanks