Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg BXT-410HL4 - opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    What do you think of the BXT-410HL4? who owns/owned it? does it have a nice tone? good weight? and what head would be best to go with it?

I need a nice 4x10 cab, and is the right ampeg to go for?

Thanks. :)

2. ricplyrz

ricplyrz

Dec 26, 2005
    I owned this cab. Very powerfull....my current SVT410hlf is a bit better all around sounding....could be the difference in the ports and speakers and the SVT cabinet is slightly larger.The bxt has cast 56 0z 10's, and the SVT has stamped steel 30 oz....you can push the bxt a bit harder from what I remember....see If you can hear them side by side somewhere...The bxt takes 600 watts rms vs the svt at 500 watts rms...the svt also goes lower in bass response at 28hz vs 35hz for the bxt.

3. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    I own this cab, and if you play jazz, this will be for you. Else, for rock, heavy metal, nu metal, dont do the job. This cab is mid scoop, so it is hard to cut thru. Remember that this cab was designed for Victor Wooten. About the wight, well, it is heavy, if you are young, you can deal with it. I push this with a SVT4PRO or a SVP-CL with QSC1202.

ON other thoughts, the BXT210M sound great!!

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    The SVT 410HLF is the most popular, The PR410HLF is my fav.

5. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Is the BSE any different, is it a mix between the BXT and the SVT 410?

6. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Also, thats a shame, because i was looking for a nice ampeg with great tone, but also can produce some bottom end..

7. Thomas B

Thomas B

Apr 21, 2008
    Ha!
    I have 2 of them, BXT 1- 15, 300 Watt rms
    and BXT 4- 10, 600Watts rms
    and I use a ampeg B4R Head, 1000 Watts rms
    "The Best" of "The Best"

8. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Thick meaty low end is not what the BXT's are about. I ran a 410/115 stack and just got it to sound right for what I was trying to use it for.

The 115 went to a buddy who is using it with an all wenge/walnut SDGR and it is just so amazingly thick, so maybe it was all my axes, I don't know.

There were good, but heavy as hell, and not what I was looking for. They're not real popular so the market is still a bit odd for them. Somehow expensive when you're looking, but cheap as hell when you're selling... hmmph.

9. theinnkeeper

theinnkeeper

May 4, 2008
    Miami, FL
    I have one, its a nice cab when playing jazz or something on the softer end of the spectrum. but if you play heavy music, the 10's start to break up on some of the lows during high volumes.

Rick

10. Ravens13

Ravens13

Jul 8, 2016
    I play in a Punk band that has multiple records since 1977, I just picked up one of these cabs to play with my Fender Bassman 135, at first I noticed that it farted when I turned the bass beyond 5, then instead of giving up I thought about the design, it was very deep with ports, so I figured it would create it's own bass without my head doing it, second I decided to work with what it does best, delivers super punch on the higher strings, once you figure out how to work with it it actually is a super killer sound if your like me and play a lot of notes instead of siting back, I play more of a JJ Burnell/ Entwistle sound with rotosounds rounds on a P-bass and I was blown away by this cab, if I do a stadium I may use my jbl powered sub with it using the studio mix out in the back of that 70's bassman head