Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg BXT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flatwound4, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Flatwound4

Flatwound4

Nov 28, 2001
    Can anyone tell me about the quality and sound of the Ampeg BXT series?

2. Dan Muller

Dan Muller Guest

Sep 28, 2001
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I played both the 4x10 and 1x15 at mars, and they both sound killer. Clean and LOUD. I'd recommend them, just make sure you have lots of power. I think both cabs are offerred in 8 ohm and 4 ohm versions.

good luck

Dan

3. Flatwound4

Flatwound4

Nov 28, 2001
    Thanks. Forgive my ignorance, but could you tell me what an ohm is exactly? I've heard the word a lot in the context of speaker cabinets, and I was just wondering what it means. Actually, while I'm at it, I have two more questions if anyone wants to respond: What does a 410 sound like compared to a 115? Are tweeters neccassary fo articulation, or do they just boost the high end?

4. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Horns aren't at all necessary. I don't use mine at all.

5. Dan Muller

Dan Muller Guest

Sep 28, 2001
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Ohms are used to show the impedance of a speaker or cabinet. I don't know how to explain it, so I can't really help you there. Basically, most amps can only handle a load no lower than 4 ohms. The lower the ohms, the more power the amp produces. If you only wanted to power a single cabinet, go with an 8 ohm cab. If you plan on having two cabinets, make sure you get two 8 ohm cabinets.
    Horns and tweeters are considered important to some, but not to others. I prefer a cab with a horn, unless of course it is the Ampeg SVT 8x10, which sounds great even though it has no horn. Horns give you a more detailed sound. Large speakers can only reproduce a limited number of frequencies. It's simply a matter of your personal preference.
    A 4x10 cabinet will be louder and punchier than the 1x15. Generally speaking, a single 15" will be about as loud as two 10" speakers. Four 10"s will be twice as loud as a single 15". The Ampeg BXT cabs each have a horn, so whichever one you choose, you will have good high end with clear, detailed sound.