1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg cab problem?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MMcC, Oct 13, 2006.

1. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    Hi folks. Sorry no time to do a search. I just got a new 410 HLF cab in the mail and have only played through it for a few minutes. The tweeter sounds really scratchy. I'm used to horns hissing, but this is more of a scratch. At least I think it's the horn. Adjusting the dial in the back, it seems like this has the most impact on the scratchiness. All the way counter-clockwise, nothing. Even less than a quarter of the way and it scratches. Is this normal?

2. MeYHymN

MeYHymN Habitual User

Nov 7, 2004
    Charleston, WV
    1st off there's NEVER too little time to do a search.

Secondly, what kind of head are you pushing the cabinet with? Have you tried different EQ settings?
    Process of elimination is in order here.
    Have you tried a different Bass, Head unit?

My $0.02 here, a tweeter should not sound scratchy, but it could be the bass, amp, or even effects causing the scratchiness.

3. hiimjohn

hiimjohn

Sep 19, 2006
    Yeah i get the same problem too

Except

i have an eden cab.
    id like to know what it is
    hopefully you find some light on this
    because it might help me out

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Play the amp through another cab. If the problem persists the amp is bad. If not the tweeter is blown.

5. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    Is it the PR410HLF or the BSE410HLF? Either way it shouldn't be scratching. I had the PR410HLF and I traded it in for an SVT810E. IMO the 810E sounds a hell of a lot better than the PR410. What kind of head are you using? I used, and still use, an SVT4PRO and all the PR410 would do is fart and distort. Even when I had my head at around 9 o'clock (master volume that is). But if the sound is still there I'd call Ampeg or whoever you bought it from and explain to them what's going on. Then send it back to them for a new one.

6. db4usa

db4usa

Mar 5, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Good luck on getting anything out of Ampeg (LOUD Technologies) They just cancelled all warranty repair service center certifications. Guess that's moving to Viet Nam as well. My PR 410 HLF has been in the shop for 6 weeks and counting Loud/Mackie has not answered any calls to the previously certified warranty repair center. Piss poor service if you ask me. They're dodging any obligations that might dip into their pockets.
    db

7. AckAckAttack

AckAckAttack

Aug 27, 2006
    Did you get this from a mailorder? If you got it from Musician's Friend or something, then you should be able to get a full refund easily no questions asked, that is, if you can't fix it.

First, you should do as Bill said, and try swapping out cabs and heads, and see if the problem persists, just to pinpoint where the problem is coming from.

Second, if it is the cab that is the problem, one possible reason is that the tweeter could be a little dirty, with some dust or dirt in there (which often results in what sounds like a blown tweeter), and if it is that a simple air can spray would fix that just fine. However, with a brand new cab, this isn't likely, but I'd try it to be on the safe side.

8. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    The amp I'm using is a GK 700 rbII. The only other cabs I played it through were my Behringer 210 and 115. I didn't use the tweeters on those because of the hissing. That's bad news about the Ampeg customer service. I guess I'll take it up with americanmusical.com or call my local repairman and see what he suggests. Thanks for the input. I'm not brimming with confidence over your responses. I was hoping for, "Oh yeah, that's normal. Your amp is fine." But I appreciate your responses nonetheless.

9. MMcC,

FWIW

I had a similar problem just the other day with my SVT4PRO through SVT410-HLF,
    scratching when dialing up horn and playing.

I initially thought it to be the cab's fault, on a 2*15 sans horn it was fine, but then
    on a behringer cab that happended to be close by the scratch were there as well
    though a lot less noticably.

In the end dis/remounting the tubes in the amp solved it, some kind of loose connect;
    but it was the aggressive horn on the 410-hlf that made it audible.

10. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    Thanks, but my amp is solid state, so I don't know how much that helps me. Does anyone have this exact cab and is not experiencing this problem at all? That would help me out.

11. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    I use a GK 700RBII and an SVT410hlf and have the same problem. I pretty much had to turn the tweeter down all the way. Don't know what the problem is, but it sounds good anyway. Make sure your tweeter booster on the amp is not cranked, that solved mine a little. Good luck

12. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    Cool, dude. Thanks.