Ampeg cab question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bottomdweller, Mar 15, 2003.

1. I responded to an ad in the local Trading Post paper. The guy is selling an Ampeg 4x10. He said it was a "regular" Ampeg 4x10. Black tolex,etc.
    But,he said it was a 600 watt cab. He looked on the back to confirm it. I checked the Ampeg site and it has those rated at 800/400 watts.
    Does anyone know if the older cabs used to be rated differently? Or is it naybe a different model? They don't show a 6oo watt 4x10 at all. I can't go look at it until next week and I don't want to keep bothering him. Thanks...
  2. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    The fact that it's covered in black tolex tells me this is probably, not positively, an older 410 cab.
    Probably just rated differently.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I have a spotty collection of Ampeg catalogs, but here's what I found...

In '95, the tolex covered SVT410Pro was rated 600 watts RMS.

A few years later (no date on the catalog), the Classic SVT410HE was rated 300 rms, 600 watts program

In '99 there were no 600 watt ratings either RMS or program as the Classic SVT410HE was rated 400 RMS.

So, it's either a tolex Pro or it's really a 300 watt cabinet.
  4. Cool. Thanks for the info. I figured it was probably a few years old,and not a current model. I hope it's 600 watts RMS. I've got a new gig and I'll need the volume.
    I hate waiting.:spit:
    Thanks again.