Ampeg Cab Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Iruleonbass, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Hello again, I still haven't got my amp...I dont know if I ever will. :crying: But the new question that I have, is whats the advantages and disadvantages of these ampeg cabs. I need to pick one in other words.

The SVT-810, SVT-610, and SVT-410HLF.

I haven't changed my mind on wanting an all tube head, so its probably going to be an ampeg SVT-CL. And I the sound I want is punchy growly type. The 610 looks like a winner becuase its not that much smaller than the 810, but still weights 50 or so pounds lighter, and its still bigger and will move more air than than the 410 (I think anyways?)

But I wanted your opinions on the situation.

2. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I think you've pretty much got it figured out. There are certain tonal differences in each cab, but it wont be anything too noticable. The 610 is still a big haul, but it is much more managable. Maybe consider getting a 410 + 115 setup, or a pair of 410's
  3. One big difference you will notice between the 610 and the 810, especially with an all tube head, is that the 810 is sealed, the 610 is not (more internal structuring in the 810, thats probably explaining the large weight difference)

I wish ampeg made a sealed 610, would be nice
  4. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Hmm, well can you explain to me the diffrence between the sound I will get between the 6 and the 8. I have the room in my car to fit an 810, and I have people who can help me move it, so if its going to be a really big diffrence I may just go with the 8. But I would rather not becuase it weights 60 pounds less.

And as for the 410+115, I dont know why, but I really dislike having more than 1 cabinet. Its just my preference, so im not making fun of those who like the 2 cab route, its just not for me.
  5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    I've been playing through a 610HLF for the last year and some odd months. I picked it because it pushes more air than the 410, and has more low end than the 810. To me, it's like the 410 on steroids. It's also easy to move, with tilt back casters and conveniently placed handles and "towel bar." It's like having a dolly built into your cabinet.

(it's up for sale, in the classifieds, if you're interested in scoring one on the cheap. I'm probably moving to schroeders, for a lighter, more modular setup.)
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    How bout a Bergie 610 or 215? Or an Aggie 412? Those shouldn't be too much more (if they are more) than the Ampeg 810 or 610, but they all sound better to my ears, especially in lows.
  7. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Well, I dont have the money now, and im still not positive on what im gonna get. Im thinking right now its between the 810 and 610, the 410 is out.

Im not looking for super crazy low end either. I want a punchy mid-range. So it now looks like im definitly getting ampeg, Orange is a thick sound, and they dont make 8/610's, and mesa boogie is expensive as hell. There the only brands im considering (was considering) to buy, I've played others and I dont like them, so ampeg it is. Its just 6 or 8. If I go 8, Im gonna have to get the AV setup, it just looks nicer in my mind. Whatever, thanks.
  8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Mesa cabs might be a bit on the expensive side, but a 400+ is the same amount of $ as a CL.
  9. DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Endorsing Artist:
    I'm nuts about my Classic 8x10! Enough said
  10. i personally think the 6x10 sounds way better.
  11. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Well, I thank you all for your input, but telling me that your nuts about your amp, doesn't help me at all, nore does someone saying I think this sounds better. Becuase honestly, I like my 35w Ibanez amp, im not crazy about it, but If I were, would you still buy it? I doubt it, unless you were looking for a practice amp.

The only reason Im buying a new amp, is becuase I need to be louder, So I need to decide in a worthwhile manner. Me taking one persons suggestion of, I love my amp, isn't enough info.

Im not trying to make fun of you guys, because I thank you for your imput, but I need to know why your crazy about your amp, and why you think it sounds better.

And regarding the mesa 400+, Its actually 100 dollars cheaper than the ampeg-CL on certain websites, unless mesa bumped there price up again, it was 1500 and the ampeg is now 1600 at most online dealers. I dont know why, but it just seems weird to mix brands. So Im gonna stick to all ampeg. Once again just personal preference.

So, once again, if your going to spend your time giving your imput, please make it worthwhile, as no one is going to buy an amp off of you saying one sentense about it.

Thanks though.
  12. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    You basically just explained the very reason that people TRY before they purchase. Everyone's popping up going "GO 8x10!" or "I'm in the Mesa Cult!" and "6x10's are Holy and 8x10's are Heathens!" and so on and so forth... and they're doing that because they have different ears for the tones.

You simply have to do your own shopping. Even telling us the genre of music isnt enough, to be honest. For all we know you wanna use Flea's tone in a Death Metal orchestra. I promise Guitar Center carries tons of Ampeg gear... just go up to some guy in a nametag and tell him you wanna try the CL and 810... I'm sure your not the first person to think up that combination of equipment. All he's gotta do is turn the switcher to the right number (since they're always hooked up wrong) while you go grab your instrument of choice. Then you play.... listen... and compare. Simple. You cant ask 20 people on Talkbass to define something that YOU hear.

..... but.... I dont.
  13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What he said^^^
    But if you havn't already, try the Bergie 610. It sounds just like an Ampeg 810 except the lows aren't all mud and its more efficent. If you are set on an Ampeg sound, also check out the SVT-2 Pro, which is a slight upgrade from the CL. And mismatching cabs and heads happens all the time. You really just need to keep trying until you find a good combo.
  14. Or the SVT II (non pro), better than the SVT CL :smug:

Doesnt have all the doo-da's of the SVT 2 Pro, but it is a nicer sounding amp imho
  15. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Don't want to start a war or instigate buyer's remorse, but here is my take, based on owning and playing these-

SVT-810: Loud, punchy, distinct, clear, perfect in loud band mix, plenty of juicy mids particularly when used with a tube SVT head. My favorite cab by far.

SVT-610: Loud, not quite as clear as 810, some lows that can get boomy on certain stages, depending on your volume.

SVT-410HLF: Similar IMO to the 610, but not as loud. I found that with the 410HLF you have to be careful with your eq or you can get a little too much muddiness.
  16. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Well I understand I should be trying things before I buy them, But the closest guitar center is in long island, and im about 40-50 minutes north of NYC, so im looking at about a 2 or 3 hour trip, just to try something, and im not doing that. So I asked here to get an idea of what they sound like.

The only thing that I would consider buying is an SWR workingmans 810, and 8008 head, But I turned it up to about half way and it didn't seem loud at all. And thats about the only bass amp they have there, they have an SWR workingmans 410 and an SWR 15" combo, and a Peavy nitrobass head, ( I dont like that ) and litterally, besides little combo amps, that is all they have for bass. But they have Mode fours and avt 150s and orange makes me so mad. They have, I would say 12 bass's, and maybe 40 guitars, one acoustic bass, and maybe 20-30 acoustic guitars. So you see what im working with, not alot at all.

Bassicly im going to be ordering my amp from a website, So I cant try it before I buy it, otherwise I would have already and I wouldn't be crying on here. I know for a fact, that I am buying ampeg, becuase orange is to expensive and I dont like the sound, and mesa is just to expensive when it comes to there cabs, now maybe If I can afford a 610 from mesa and a 400+ that would be another option, but I doubt I'll have that kind of money when Im ready to buy the amp. But those are the only options, so please dont go telling me to buy schroder (sorry for spelling it wrong) Becuase I have no interest in them at all, I know technicly you didn't, but whatever.

Oh yeah btw, I dont play death metal, I just play normal punk rock type stuff, one guitar, one drummer, one bass player, and a lead singer, so yeah. Just a heads up. :eyebrow:
  17. get a GK800 or if you have a little more cash get a GK1001RB and pick 2 avatar bass cabs.
    way cheaper, easier to move, sounds just as good if not better.....

18. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    ..............Did I not just say, in my last post, not to recomend me to other brands? If you missed that part, what about the part where I said, Im set on buying ampeg? Or even if you missed that part, I said I want a full tube head for sure. Im sorry to be harsh, but this thread is just full of useless crap, Some of it has helped. Those of you who told me flaws in the cabs, and the sounds that come out of both. But telling me buy this just because you say so, means nothing, and those recomending other brands, does not help me at all, becuase Im set on the brand, and the head, the only thing I need to pick, is between a 610 or an 810, and assuming I go with the 810, im faced with dealing with the extremely hard task if picking between the standard 810 or the aniversary 810. :rolleyes:

So all I need help with....everyone listen up, is picking between either a 610, or an 810, either of witch will be topped off with an Ampeg SVT-CL. Thats the only thing I need to know. Ok? :)

19. nothing more frustrating than someone saying
    "this is what i want, i dont know why, but i want it cause it says ampeg on it."

poeple are just trying to show you options that in their opinions are better/lighter/cheaper than what you say you are looking for.
    i might not post here alot, but i have made my purchases based on what most people around here have said, and guess what?
    they are right.
  20. 5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but i live about an hour upstate from NYC too, which side of the hudson are you on? there is a guitar center in White Plains, and there is one in Paramus, NJ. The guys in paramus are nice, i bought my rig there, u can talk them down quite a bit :)

More on topic. Just about 2 months ago i was in the same boat you are in, and i decided that i wanted the SVT 4 Pro head, but did not decide what cabinet i wanted to go with it. I ultimately decided on the 810. I went to the store and tried them out, and to me, the 810 just sounded louder and better. I was looking for a certain tone, and although the 610 did deliver a good tone, the 810 really nailed it for me. But i did sit in the store and switch them back and forth for about an hour before making my final decision. Weight isnt an issue for me either.. its big, and thats the way i like it. Its loud and it has an awesome tone. Depending on the head and the bass there is obviously tonal differences, but as i said before,y our best bet, is to goto the nearest store to you one day and just sit there and switch them back and forth and ultimately decide what sounds better to you.

Sorry if this is lengthy i tried to be as helpful as possible.

Kind Regards,