Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg cab sounding bad....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phogchris, Apr 25, 2002.

1. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I have a 610 HLF Classic cab and am running an SVT 4 Pro in bridged mode into it. When the volume is past halfway, the low notes of my 5 string make the cab bottom out and make a strange farting sound. Anyone have any ideas why this would happen? Is it blown? It happens with both of my basses....and help would be apreciated!!

2. its your amp, it just doesn't have enough headroom, maybe you should consider a power amp

3. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I can't imagine 1200 continuous watts NOT being enough....maybe, I just don't know!!! I am frustrated....

4. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    the svt 4 pro should have more headroom than you'll ever need. make sure you're using the correct "bridge mode" speakon cable. these are different from the other cables and were made specifically for use in bridge mode. i'm not sure what the specs on these cables are but you can contact ampeg and find them out. you could also be overpowering the cabinet.

steve

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I just ordered the correct speakon cable from my ampeg dealer $29 to bridge my B4r 1000 watts into my 610hlf. I will pick it up tomorrow. If I have any problems I'll let you know. Are you driving the pre amp real hard? hard to imaging a 610hlf not sounding great :D

btw the ampeg web page has a faq section that has all the info you need for the proper speakon setup for bridging your amp. They also get back within a day or two with email if you have questions.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Make sure you are not trying to overpower the cab with too much low end EQ boost.

The speakers may not be blown yet but if you are making them fart, they'll be blown soon :rolleyes:

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Well, I picked up the speakon cable from my ampeg dealer. When I got home I pried the plastic cap off where the speakon connector should be and found nothing but a hole in the amp no connection at all. Is this normal? Do I have to have the speakon outputs installed in my new amp? phogchris did you have to have the speakon outputs installed in your svt4 pro. The owners manual shows the amp with speakon outputs and recommends using those outputs to bridge my amp.
    Now what do I do? :confused:

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dude. Ampeg cabs sound bad. Live with it.

9. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've got a B2R and it has the same stupid plastic plug where the Speakon jack should be. AFAIK they only actually install the jack on export models. Why on earth they're depriving U.S. users of the positive connection/better current transfer of Speakons is beyond me.

10. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
  11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Well I fired off an email to ampeg and got an answer already. You are right Winston they are only on the imports :confused: I don't understand this since the owners manual and their web page recommend speakon to speakon. The person that emailed me recommend using bannana plugs. Of course my 610hlf only has speakon and 1/4 inch inputs. Maybe this just wasn't meant to be.

12. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    OOPs, Of course I meant exports in that last post.

Anyway i put a bannana plug on the amp end of the cable so now I can bridge my B4r into the 610hlf and it sounds great, great GREAT I tell ya. No farting noises, and i cranked it up pretty loud. So uless you have a blown speaker I think you are getting that sound from somewhere else in the signal chain. Try another cab with the same set up if you can and see if the same thing happens. If not time to check out the speakers.

13. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    HI guys
    I have a 1X15 + 2X10 set up on trial. Now while the 15 Cab behaves well with all EQ settings and including my 5 string, the 2X10 cab doesn't like the E and B strings on the 5str and produces a sort of fuzzyness at low frequencies - even at very low volumes. They do it even worse with a Semi-acoustic with humbuckers. Are the speakers faulty. Or are 2X10's unable to handle low frequencies so I should not have the EQ set too low when using the 2X10. I don't notice it so much when both cabs are connected. Comments please.