1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg cab w XLR input... can I replace?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xwpx, Feb 24, 2008.

1. xwpx

xwpx

Mar 30, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I picked up a monster of a 2 x 15 cab today but the back where there is normally a speakon and/or a 1/4 jack there is only an XLR input.
    The guy gave me a cable that would work but I don't know how it is going to affect the sound.
    Can I replace this with a normal back plate?

thanks

f050_1.

2. It won't affect the sound. I'd say go with the cable he gave you. I like XLR because it "locks in".

3. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Some older Ampegs used a different connecting system. Ever see an original SVT? It had 4 pins and a common ground so each pair of 10s gets their own set of wires. Probably something similar. Even B 15s had them.

4. xwpx

xwpx

Mar 30, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I've always used a heavy gauge speakon cable so I'm just a little worried using this flimsy 1/4 to XLR...
    So I gather its not worth going through the effort of replacing?

5. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    You could rewire the cab with a speakon and a new plate. No big deal unless you're a vintage purist

6. xwpx

xwpx

Mar 30, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Defiantly not. I plan on redoing the tolex and putting casters and maybe even a strap handle or 2 at the bottom on this thing... I took 3 people to get it out of the guys house and into my truck... I'll mostly likly be using my 4x10 for shows... it was only $200 and the speakers sound great I had to buy it.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my fliptop had that connector, I rewired the cab to a 1/4" (in the ages before speakon)