Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Cabinets & heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass18, Jul 21, 2001.

1. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    Im in a punk band (think NoFX, Blink 182 type punk) and I'm in search of a new cab and amp to play some gigs and record a CD with. It has too last me for a few years at least until I upgrade again and will need to be suitable for small to mid size gigs. I was thinking an Ampeg 410HE as the cabinet and an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro for the head. Does anyone know how this combination would perform? And another thing I wanted to know, Is the 410HE the exact same as the 810E less 4 speakers? (In other words, is it the 410HE the same as the 810E just half as powerful?) or does it have some other different properties to the 810E?

I use an Ashton AB 100 bass.

I'm fairly new to bass, having played for a year, my last amp was a Peavey microbass combo (adequate for practices). Quite a large step up to buy a rig like this when I used to use the microbass, I know, but I need this new amp as our band is progressing into larger things.

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    In a way, the SVT-410HE is like half of an SVT-810E. However, physically being half of the 8x10, doesn't mean it will sound or perform half as much.

The 4x10 has a little less in the way of bottom end. Yes, it is not as loud as an 8x10, but it is not half as loud; it will just not be able to reach the volume level of the 8x10 by a few decibels (though the meaning and value of decibels is a more complicated matter).

Also the 410HE is an 8 ohm cabinet as oppossed to a 4 ohm cab. The 810E, being 4 ohms, can take advantage of the full 450 watts of the SVT 3. The 410HE will only take 300W because the resistance is higher.

One thing to consider is how safe it will be to run 300 watts through the 410HE, which is rated at 200 watts RMS.

3. the svt3 claims to be 450w @ 4ohms. I seriously doubt this. When i compaired it @ 8ohms, to the SWR 350 @ 8ohms, the swr sounded significly louder (they were both going though a goliath III.) the tone was nice, but it really wasnt my bag.

4. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The voicing of the SWR head could have just been more compatible with the SWR cab.

Not too many people combine Ampeg and SWR amps and cabs. Perhaps there's a reason why.

5. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    Well, if the SVT-3 Pro is too much for the 410HE too handle, then what would be the best Ampeg head to use? A SVT-2 Pro maybe?

Wouldnt you just be able to run the SVT-3 Pro at only 200 watts anyway? Or is it stuck at 300?

6. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    What exactly would happen if I was to run this head through this cab? Is it totally unsafe, or mildly unsafe? I don't want to do anything that would damage my gear...

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You wont' damage anything. A friend of mine has that set up & has been using it for a while. <b>BUT</b>, I'd recomend getting the Ampeg SVT 410 HLF cab & using it w/the SVT III head. The HLF cab is 4 ohm & will draw all of the power of the head. I had this set-up for a few years & it served my well in recording & live situations.

Also, before you buy the SVT III head, compare it to the Ampeg B2R head. I like that head also. [​IMG]

Good Luck.

8. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    My experience is the same as Ninos' ...
    Ditto everything that he said.

Good Luck

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Just so you know, Blink 182, nor NOFX use Ampeg...

Tube's quite different than anything they use, I know for a fact that the guy from NOFX uses a Peavey firebass head, and Danelectro Hodad bass...

I can't tell you what cabs he uses though...
    I'd consider checking out the Firebass, not because he uses one, but because I own one and I think they're great heads... Just a suggestion. :)

10. I saw me first and the gimmie gimmes last month. Fat Mike was playing his dano bass (lightest bass he could find in the store), though an svt2, though an 8x10. That was his rig. He wasnt useing peavey.

I saw mark hoppus at the exact same show. He was playing with 3 8x10's, and a bunch of svt 4's.

Plese explain how this isnt using ampeg?

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    What does "Me first and the gimme gimme's" have to do with the bassist of NOFX? He's already posted in the Peavey website stating what he uses, and claiming his satisfaction with their equipment.

I don't know what the hell you've seen. Perhaps you're having trouble reading the labels again? ;)

12. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    Well, I am actually trying to build a setup that will emulate Mark Hoppus's bass sound - but at a lower cost of course.

This is what mark says he uses:

An 810E Cab powered by a MesaBoogie 400+
    An 810E Cab powered by an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro

This is what I plan to use to emulate:

A 410E (410HLF?) powered by an SVT-3 Pro head.

So, in fact he does use ampeg, Im not sure what the NoFX guy uses, but I dont really like his sound much anyway.

Oh, and Fat Mike (NOFX) is in Me first and the gimme gimme's, he may even be the lead singer, Im not sure. But he may use a different setup for that band than the one he uses in Nofx.

13. The Svt410he is rated at 400 watts, not 200. The bse series 410he is rated at 200, not the SVT version. It would work just fine. If you got the 8 ohm SVT410HE you could add another later on and get full power out of your head and have a total of 8 10" speakers. Two smaller cabs would probably be easier to move around than one 8x10.

14. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    Are you sure about this? Because on the Ampeg website it says:

Program Handling: 400 watts
    RMS Handling: 200 watts

15. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The Ampeg website is extremely mis-informative. Dont trust it.

About C-Eye and the Guy from NOFX: Did you know that many people get payed to say that kind of crap?

16. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    This information is out of date. Mark has an endorsement deal with Ampeg, which probably prohibits him from using any other type of amplifier in concert besides Ampegs.

Currently, Mark rig consists of 3 SVT-810E cabinets and a rack case which contains a Korg DTR-1 tuner, 2 Shure UHF Wireless System receivers, and 3 Ampeg SVT4 PROs.

17. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    So, with what I plan to use (see above), will I be able to achieve his sound at (obviously) less power?

18. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    If you really want to sound like him, it should be close enough. Just slap some Ernie Ball Slinkies on a P Bass and play with a pick, and you should be good to go.

19. Yeah, what EString said. Just make sure you get the stainless steel hybrid slinkys. That's what Mark uses.

20. The 3PRO runs at 275 watts at 8 ohms, not 300 watts. The 410HE is 400/800 watts, not 200/400 like the website says. I own one, so believe me. Just thought I'd clear that up..

The 410HE won't be too loud for big gigs. If you have the space, get the 410HLF, and if you have the money and space you should get the 610HLF, in my oppinion their best cab.