Ampeg Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by virtual.ray, Mar 25, 2001.

1. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    It seems that lately every time I go into a music store I find some different type of Ampeg cab that I've never seen before.Some examples: a cab with SVT style tolex containing 8 6.5" drivers,an "Isovent" which appears to have a folded horn with a 15" driver and 2 8" in front,and the most recent sighting which looks just like a standard SVT 8x10' but in reality contains 4x10" plus 1x15". This last one sounds very good but is a bit much to fit in my car.I like the fact that they keep experimenting with different designs,I think it shows commitment to furthering the art.
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have an Ampeg SVT 810 & an SVT 2 PRO that I mainly use for gigging & I couldn't be happier w/the sound!!!!! I also have an SVT 410 HLF which is an incredible cab. I used it before I got the 810 & I haven't gotten around to selling it (actually don't want to). I feel this is one of the best cabinets on the market right now, which is why I won't sell it. Eventually I'll be too lazy to lug around an 810 & want to start using the 410 again. Ampeg is the best!!!!
  3. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Nino-Brown, wut do you tune your bass to?

Cuz i'm sure that 410HLF would sound sweet with a low c or b.
  4. Hey Primate!!! I'm not Nino but I did own a PR 410 HLF.It can handle LOW frequencies.(I hope we're talking about the same model).The cab is tight and articulate.I had the one with the three tube ports,man,it was one of the best cabs I've ever owned.If you play a 4,5,6,or 7 stringer,it can deliver the low end!!!
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Right now I'm using a 5 string in standard BEADG tuning.

Yep, that's the cab I'm talking about. It is GREAT. I like the 810 now alittle more, but it's so BIG & HEAVY!!!! Eventually I'll prob start playing the 410 hlf again. :)
  6. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    I believe all of the cabinets you mentioned are no longer made. The 8x6.5 were very recent but i think they stopped making already. The isovent actually had 2 15's in a clam shell arrangement on the bottom(isovent) and was only made for a few years. The 1-15 and 4-10's have been discontinued also but do sound really good.
  7. Yeah, SVT's are great, but- has any one ever played a V-9? (9-10's) don't know much about dates or ohmage etc. but I've played 2 of these monsters and I want one, Anybody seen one?
  8. Hey Nino,you must be very strong or have a good insurance policy in order to lug that 8x10.I used to own the (classic) 8x10.My lower back started to go on strike and it was a matter of time before I had to get a smaller cab.It's a shame the 8x10s don't come with a roadie.
  9. Has anyone heard the svt 610hlf? I noticed someone posted a thread asking about it a while back and there were no replys, so Im assuming it's new. I saw it on Ampeg's web site, and it looks like it would be a killer stand alone cab, at 4 ohms handling 600 watts RMS. It has the bottom front ports like the 410hlf and also a horn, but is 16 inches deep like the svt 810E (the svt 410hlf is 19 deep).
    I wonder if this is a "best of both worlds" kind of cab, or just a bigger, louder 410hlf.
  10. I didn't know the 6x10s were out.Wow,I've got to check some for myself.Fortunately there are some dealers in my area.I'll defintely come back to give my 2 cents worth.