Ampeg Cabs (Classic Enclosures)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThumperCI6, Feb 15, 2001.

1. Hey,
    I was wondering what you think of Classic Enclosure Ampeg Cabs. I prefer what you think on the SVT-610HLF as that is what I am looking in to. Also, what head would you reccomend?

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I like them very much, that´s why I have a 410HE and really like it.
    Im gonna buy another one.. (the newer with 400W Power handling and a SVT15E, just because I need more bottom for my 6 stringer).

I suggest you get a 410HE too and a SVT15E, this way you will have a more fuller sound. The SVT610HLF should be great but it is rated at 4ohms and that makes it difficult to mix with another cab.

Also, look at the frequency response of the 610HLF, compare it with the sum of the 410HE and the SVT15E. The best part is that they almost cost the same as the 610HLF when matched.

What head? AMPEG!! AMPEG!! AMPEG! there is nothing better for an ampeg cab , to use an Ampeg head.
    I have a hartke 2000, and one day a friend of mine lend me his SVT350H and sounded a lot better than my hartke!!
  3. I like my 410 HLN. It can handle 500 watts RMS, 1000 program. Tight sound with a lot of bottom end (when it sits on the ground). Actually, I get it up off the ground to cut some of the low end. Its a 4 ohm cab, which is preferable to me. It matches up well with my 70's V-4B.
  4. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i have an ampeg head, model svt3 pro and an old but good svt1510he cab. 1 10" 1 15" and a tweeter. the problem is that is has only 175 watts of power handling at 8 ohm. i want to buy another cab still 8 ohm and i'm interested in a 4x10". which one do you suggest? svt, classic, bse?
  5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
  6. LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    Another vote for the SVT 410HLN (I guess it's the HLF with improved power handling), and another vote still for the PR410HLF.

I had two Acme B2s which sounded GREAT, but couldn't cut the mud in a band with a midrangy guitarist and wandering-left-hand keyboardist. I never was happy with my Eden D410XLT, although I like the way other folks make 'em sound. I did a side-by-side between the Eden and Ampeg PR410HLF cabs, and was quite surprised (shocked!) to discover the Ampeg was a better fit for me.

I like the towel-bar handle on the SVT410HLN, and it seems about 20-30 lbs lighter than the PR410HLF. They both pump out clean lows at impressive levels, with the PR a little more "modern," the SVT a little more "vintage."

After years of avoiding Ampeg (snob factor I guess), I've become a supporter. I should have listened to others earlier: let your ears be your guide!
  7. If you're interested, I have a SVT210HE for sale. It's listed in the Used Gear section of the BG section.
  8. Ok, so would it be better for me to get a 410HE and then a SVT15 and combine those? Would I get the same mount of wattage with those two combined as I would with just the SVT610? If not, what can I combine to get that power and still keep a good sound?? Thanks for the help!