Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg cabs: horn adjustment on the back

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Max, Jul 24, 2000.

1. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I have an Ampeg SVT 410HE with the horn level dial on the back. For the life of me I can't discern any difference in the sound when I adjust that thing. Anybody out there with this cab (or the 210 or 410HLF) that can tell me whether there should be a difference in the sound? Thank you.

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I just checked out one of those cabs at Guitar Center and as far as I can tell the horn attenuator seems to control the amount of hiss coming out of the horn. That said, it probably has some effect on the cut of your sound when in a playing situation, by itself, it just sounds hissy.

Since 10's generally have frequency responses up over 5k (which I've read is the limit of the frequencies generated by a bass guitar) I wonder why there is a horny trend. It seems they'd be able to knock off at least $100 off cabs by not including them.

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Max:
    I have an Ampeg SVT 410HE with the horn level dial on the back. For the life of me I can't discern any difference in the sound when I adjust that thing. Anybody out there with this cab (or the 210 or 410HLF) that can tell me whether there should be a difference in the sound? Thank you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't answer your question but I'm glad you asked. I have an SWR 1x15 with a tweeter in it. There is a switch(3 position slide switch) on the back of the cab that supposedly controls the tweeter. Like you, I cant hear any difference regardless of the switch setting. If this is normal, why the heck did they put it in to start with?

Frog

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Could be the fuse is blown!!! I can hear a big difference in high end on my ampeg 410 depending on the position of the switch. Open the back panel carefully and you will find something that looks like a light bulb you might use in your car's brake lights. The difference being it's 24 volts instead of 12volts. You can order these at your music store but a 12volt lightbulb with the same base will do the trick until then. [​IMG]

5. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    I think that the answer lies in inhixulu's response.

My SVT410HLF's horn only stands out when my MM Sterling is eq'd to accentuate the highs.
    Since I don't care for the cracked glass highs this set-up produces or the hiss I turn the tweeter off.

I don't noticed a huge difference when I play my passive bass ... Pbass styled axe.

Your MMV.

Best Wishes.

6. ejn

ejn

Sep 14, 2003
    i have the pr 410 hlf. I can hear a difference with the adjustment. I am also having some noise come from my tweeter. I am thinking about taking the back cover off and unpluging the horn. I have it turned all the way off anyhow

7. matthiu23

matthiu23

Jan 14, 2016
    i opened my ampeg 610 after i bought it used and found that the wiring in the little white plug was wrong. it has four wires going into it, white blue black and red. they are supposed to be in this order but the red and black were switched around. idk if the horn itself is also wired backwards but i think it was right going into the horn control. this error was causing it not to be grounded properly. i wonder if this is a factory mistake common to all ampegs or if somebody along the way went in and screwed it up but i doubt it because it looks like a factory setup and the way the wires are connected, its pretty complicated. i just pulled them up out of it and switched them. it still hisses but isnt buzzing quite as badly. my pickups were picking up horrible amounts of noise and only when i turned the tone knob all the way down or the horn all the way off would it be quiet. now it seems a bit different. i still have to test it more.