1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg, cabs, subs (Meatbox)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jd_watt, Mar 22, 2013.

1. jd_watt

jd_watt

Mar 22, 2013
    Hi all,

I'm new to the forums, but I've already learned a lot just by reading through a few threads. Good stuff!

I was wondering if anyone has any experience w/the Meatbox and any mid-priced amps. I'm currently running a Meatbox, through a sans amp, into a Roland KC550. It has no problem reproducing the sub-harmonic frequencies of the effect, but I was wondering if something like an Ampeg Portaflex (2x10) would struggle to amplify the super low stuff. If you do run a Meatbox into a more "traditional" bass amp, could you share your experience. Thanks for having a look!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Portaflex cabs wouldn't struggle. They go quite low.

3. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    jd,

I have no idea what a Meat Box is, but if you are looking for a used speaker cabinet, in addition to Craig's List, you should check out the for sale forum here as well.

I found a real nice FlipTops B15 repro cab there recently.

4. jd_watt

jd_watt

Mar 22, 2013
    Hey, thanks guys. The meatbox produces subharmonic frequencies down around 60 and 30hz. The roland is a full spectrum amp. It works, but it's not technically a bass amp. I'm really intrigued by the portaflex. I'm hoping it works. I'll definitely check the classifieds!