Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg cabs vs. Mesa/Boogie cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassvirtuoso13, Apr 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I definitely prefer Mesa's better sounding, better
    looking cabs to Ampeg's muddy sounding trash.

2. And the purpose of this post was...? Not all of us can afford Mesa/Boogie.. Especially the ones who are 15 :rolleyes:

3. Hey I got my first Mesa/Boogie 4x10 cab when I was 15 and Ampeg aint cheap either buddy!

*Excuse my use of the word buddy

4. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

The ampeg SVT was rock two 15s or 8x10 when 10s were not cool and bass was baaaaaaaaaaaaaad, and to this day they kick butt! now mesa boogie makes a great amp, but can it kick out a marshall 100 watt stack and keep on going!

5. A Mesa/Boogie running through a 4x10 (even without a tweeter) can cut if not silence a 100 watt Marshall guitar amp.

*Note : I also am biased towards the Mesa/Boogie Rectifier guitar amps and I hate the Marshall bass amp.

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    if i had the money i'd have a few rigs of each :D

7. Come to think of it, i have no idea what Mesa/Boogies really do cost! I had always assumed they were very expensive, because they seem to be set one tier above the rest, quality and sound wise. Someone wanna gimme a link or at least clue me in?

8. Mesa/Boogie 400+........$1300
    Mesa/Boogie Basis M-2000........$1700
    Mesa/Boogie 4x10,2x15 cab.....$800
    Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse 1000 cab....1200

here are some of the prices

also try www.mesaboogie.com

9. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Errr... thanks for sharing that with us.

I'll just say the results of the original Favourite Amp poll suggest that a lot of people don't think Ampeg is "trash", and some will tell you so in no uncertain terms. You've been warned...

10. OOOOhhhhh I'm scared.

Seriously though, I'm referring to the cabs not the amps. The amps I can live with, but the cabs SUCK.

11. dvalles

dvalles

Apr 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    well, the mesa boogie/ ampeg battle has raged on for years. it all depends on what you are going for. i'm personally an ampeg man for life. i'm gonna buy a 215 soon and biamp my rig with the 810 i already have. 500 watts per channel, true stereo.....i can't wait!!!
    -d

12. Well Ampeg is great I'm not gonna deny it (yes I will), but I have recorded with the Ampeg and it sounds like hell. I find that the hemp grill on the front muffles the sound unlike the Mesa/Boogie which has a wide cage to protect it. The Mesa/Boogie has better low end response as well as high end (hf drivers baby!), although it does cost more than Ampeg cabs it is worth every penny.

13. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    You better be, boy! There was another non-believer, just like you, who slagged off Ampeg. But I fixed him - I fixed him good!!! :mad:

Only joking. :) (Or am I? They still haven't found any body, or so I'm told. :eek::D)

Seriously, it's happened before that a throwaway comment like that has led to something a little more unpleasant - doesn't happen very often, but it's worth considering that people can latch onto this sort of thing.

14. dvalles

dvalles

Apr 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    yeah, but if you have a good preamp, ampegs can rock a mesa to death. i played the house mesa rig at a club and absolutley COULD NOT get a halfway decent tone. it's all preference, my friend.
    -d

15. dvalles

Are you referring to the cabs or the heads.

Also, if the amp was miked it was most likely the PA.
    But probably you just hear differently. What kind of music do you play?

16. dvalles

dvalles

Apr 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    well the rig was a 400+ with a 215 cab. check out my rig at www.fontainerock.com and click on the gear link. my stuff is at the bottom of the page.
    we play alternative/heavy-melodic stuff. check it out!
    -d

17. I see.....you're just into the low end stuff. I play progressive metal/virtuoso metal and I like getting all kinds of sounds. I have a 400+ an M-2000 and (2) Powerhouse 1000 cabs (1000 watts mmmmmm).
    I have an Eventide GTR-4000, a Korg tuner like yours, a dbs 1066a Compressor, and a Mesa Amp Switcher, I change all the settings with my Rocktron Bradshaw Switching System and I don't think I'll ever change my setup, maybe just add some more amps when I need more power.

18. Have you ever tried recording an Ampeg....they're a bitch.

19. dvalles

dvalles

Apr 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    the low end stuff....please. i got that friggin' bradshaw switcher, it's a custom. called the 2x4 plus. 12 loops, 12 control functions. i have loops to spare right now! doesn't that rocktron thing only have 4 loops or 8? i chose a stompbox rig over an effects processor because i can always replace pedals from time to time. with the processor, you're screwed.
    -d

20. No its the big early nineties Bradshaw. All of my buttons are assigned to a different sound but two and I have effects pedals also. The Eventide has better sound quality than ANY effect pedal I've ever heard (for $2700 it better) and it has crazy effects that would sound terrible if you tried putting a bunch of little pedals together. I do like boxes though. I have a DigiTech Talker, Boss Bass Distortion, Electro Harmonix Micro Synth, and a custom made phaser that sounds insane (partly because it was made by someone who had no idea what he was doing). What I meant by low end is that you seldom ever use the upper frets am I correct. By the way, the site is pretty cool.

Berklee rulz!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.