1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg casket

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Theonestarchild, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
  2. Wow, thats beastly.

3. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    GOOD GOD

well, i think u could kill a man with that.

and imagine, all of that and only 50 more pounds than like, a peavey classic 400.

crazy.

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    One would need an amp that goes to eleven to power that beast!

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yeah, just imagine the amount of suck you could magnify with it!

6. Theonestarchild

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina

/me falls on the floor laughing

7. It's a guitar cabinet. Bass at high volumes will destroy those speakers. It was supposed to have been Ampeg's answer to the double 4x12 Marshall stack. BTW, the auction description is wrong. The V9 came AFTER the SVT when Magnavox wanted to get into the more lucrative guitar market and took the SVT, gave it reverb and a useless distortion channel and voila: the V9 was born. They did VERY poorly in the market because bass players kept trying to use the V9 cab and it kept blowing.

8. Theonestarchild

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    You just made this cabinet alot scarier. Guitar.... out of that? /me rolls into a ball and starts crying

9. I had the chance to buy one of these and the matching heads for 900 Canadian once and missed it. It would definately be neat to have for a good deal. GOB's guitarist used one for years.

10. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Hummmm.... Big heavy cabinet.... Back surgery and heart attack... Hummmm...

11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Interesting... why is it ported then?

12. It was to give it an extra low end push so it would have the same physical impact of the Marshall 4x12 cabs. The porting is also its Achilles' heel and the reason the cab doesn't work well for bass. V9 speakers are nowhere near as good as SVT speakers and when taxed, either with power or excursion, they blow easily.

13. Didn't Keith Richards use a V9 cab (and some sort of Ampeg head, maybe a V4) on that famous Stones tour in '69 or '70 where he also busted out the Dan Armstrong plexiglass guitar?

14. The V9 didn't exist yet during that tour. He used a V4 and the oversized V4 4x12 cabinet that is the same size as an SVT 8x10.

15. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

shhhhhh...I'm incognito here. :D

16. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
  17. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    wow! I would love to swap the speakers out with knight 10s and power it with an svt 1000 how cool would that be!(and heavy!)oh yeah the ohm load.....hmmmmm

18. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    "Recent mid-back fusion surgery and heart attacks have now limited my playing time"

Does anyone else find this ironic? :D

19. But it's really little different from the original 8x12" cab Pete Townshend had Marshall build c1967 for his 100W head, then cut in half (into 2 quad boxes, starting a trend) because his roadies refused to move it. :)

20. Interesting PBG did ampeg ever make a 9x10 for bass? i thought they had?