Ampeg CL also harp amp???????/

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sheepdip, Aug 1, 2004.

1. sheepdip

Apr 14, 2004
    A little off topic but.........any of you guy or gals also play the Harp????? I'd like to utilize a Ampeg SVT CL for a harp instead of looking for an over priced early Fender Bassman. Any input????????
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    A HARP?!? ***?!? :eek:
    Or are you just making fun of us extended-range bassists? :eyebrow:
  3. Touchy, eh? :smug: My guess is that he was referring to 'harp' as in harmonica...
  4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    How does 'harp' come close to 'harmonica?' I think he's probably talking about an electric harpsacord(sp?).
  5. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    haha.... Talk about cultureshock for some people :p

Um... I really dunno how to answer that one. I'm gonna guess your using some sort of microphone..???
  6. Yep...defintiely use mics.

I'm surprised so few folks seem to be familiar with this? *shrug*

Oh well, no biggie.

Original poster: I'd be surprised if anyone used an SVT CL simply for harp. That's an awfully powerful/heavy load to lug around to amplify their harp playing. Most use smallish combos.
  7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Fuggetaboudit! You want an amp that breaks up early, and hard, assuming you're into blues harp at least. The Fender Blues Junior is what most of my friends are going after these days. The old small Ampegs (the Jet comes to mind) can be pretty cool for harp, but they're starting to appreciate in value now too, finally.

If you want to use the SVT, you're gonna want a tube preamp to run into it, most likely. You could just buy a Blues Junior for another hundred bucks or so though...
  8. sheepdip

Apr 14, 2004
    My mistake, I should have said HARMONICA.

Using a Green Bullet mike.

The SVT CL already has a pre amp section

I know the Classic is a little heavy but I figured I already have a good tube lamp that I am lugging anyway and I can use my 2x15 JBL for the cab. I'm just trying to keep from spending another 4 to 750 bucks for amp and cab.
  9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Maybe an Ampeg V4. The CL is a poop load more power and weight than youd want to cary around.
  10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    AFAIK the SVT has a tube pre-amp section ;)
  11. Passinwind

I'm hip to that, but I'll stand behing what I posted. :cool:

The SVT preamp is not gonna get the classic blues harp tone, Green Bullet or not, IME. A Blue Tube preamp, straight to the PA, will likely be far better. It'll overdrive the SVT front end OK too, if that's what you want it to do. What makes an old Bassman, or a Blues Junior, work well though, is the power amp distortion. You want to push an SVT to power amp distortion with a harp, have at it. :bassist:

BTW, the Blues Junior combo was under $300 new last time I checked. I wouldn't use 15s for harp either, but that's maybe just me...

Check out the Peavey Classic 30; very affordable used, and plentiful. I've seen a few monster harp players using them.
  12. sheepdip

Apr 14, 2004
    O.K. I'll go for that. I had a feeling thaat there was a reason that the harp players were not using anything but the old fender and etc amps but I didn't know what it was. I guess I'll look around for an early head. I can always put a cab togeather with some 10 in. JBL's.
  13. Passinwind

Take a look at the Weber speakers ( if you want something vibier (and maybe cheaper) than the JBLs. Old Bandmaster and Bassman heads are still a pretty good deal, if you're patient. Hard to get one with 'verb though. Don't forget the classic old Fender knockoffs either, namely Traynor. They're excellent harp amps.
  14. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    go for a guitar tube amp. Blues Junior, or maybe even Deluxe reverb. Better tone for your "harp", and your back will thank me!! :D
  15. sheepdip

Apr 14, 2004
    Have you seen the prices on the 67,68,69 70 reverbs???????? Darn, I could have a pretty nice stand alone amp for that!