Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Classic head questions!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Macbeth56, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Hello, I know where I can get a used ampeg classic head for like under 700-800.. and I use a ampeg 4x10 cab (8 ohms) and if I got this head, I would add another one, and/or get 8x10 stack (way later though) would it be able to do the two 4x10s? and would it easily have enough power? or would it be peaking out a lot?
    My other choice is the B4R..

Please help!:bassist:

2. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    If you bought another 8-ohm Ampeg 4-10, you'd be operating the SVT-CL at 4-ohms which is fine. The back of the head has a 4-ohm/2-ohm selector switch- just make sure it's set in the 4-ohm position. I'm not sure if it's safe to run the head in 8-ohms though....

3. alright thanks.. anyone else?

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I think running the head at 8 ohms will fry the output transformer. :meh:

5. :bawl: but its such a good deal! but i just bought my 4x10s.. so i wouldnt be able to even use it!

6. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    Why not? If you have 2 8-ohm cabs-you're fine. 2 4-ohms cabs will work fine also, just put the ohm selector on 2-ohms.
    :cool:

7. ...not unless you crank the amp. It's not a good idea, but it's not instant death for the amp. Keep the volume low and you'll be alright, but if you plan on gigging, pick up another 8 ohm cab.

8. but i only have 1 8 ohm cab.. so it wouldnt work
    because i am out of money once this is done.. ive saved up forever, and i only work on weekends.. so all my life is devoted to bass.. im only a teenager! LOL

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    What exact model of cabinet do you have?

Many of the 4-10 cabs can be rewired from 8 to 2 which would be Ok if you set the impedance switch on the amp correctly. Re-wiring would be something a local shop's tech should be able to do fairly easily.

What the tech would do is re-connect so all 4 8 ohm speakers are in parallel, which divides impedance by 4 resulting in a 2 ohm cabinet. Some other cabinets have a 4/16 switch which operates similarly.

As I recall some 8 ohm cabs had 4 of the 32 ohm 10" speakers. Nothing that can be done then, they are already in parallel. Hopefully it isn't one of those.