Ampeg Classic head questions!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Macbeth56, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Hello, I know where I can get a used ampeg classic head for like under 700-800.. and I use a ampeg 4x10 cab (8 ohms) and if I got this head, I would add another one, and/or get 8x10 stack (way later though) would it be able to do the two 4x10s? and would it easily have enough power? or would it be peaking out a lot?
    My other choice is the B4R..

Please help!:bassist:
  2. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    If you bought another 8-ohm Ampeg 4-10, you'd be operating the SVT-CL at 4-ohms which is fine. The back of the head has a 4-ohm/2-ohm selector switch- just make sure it's set in the 4-ohm position. I'm not sure if it's safe to run the head in 8-ohms though....
  3. alright thanks.. anyone else?
  4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I think running the head at 8 ohms will fry the output transformer. :meh:
  5. :bawl: but its such a good deal! but i just bought my 4x10s.. so i wouldnt be able to even use it!
  6. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    Why not? If you have 2 8-ohm cabs-you're fine. 2 4-ohms cabs will work fine also, just put the ohm selector on 2-ohms.
  7. ...not unless you crank the amp. It's not a good idea, but it's not instant death for the amp. Keep the volume low and you'll be alright, but if you plan on gigging, pick up another 8 ohm cab.
  8. but i only have 1 8 ohm cab.. so it wouldnt work
    because i am out of money once this is done.. ive saved up forever, and i only work on weekends.. so all my life is devoted to bass.. im only a teenager! LOL
  9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    What exact model of cabinet do you have?

Many of the 4-10 cabs can be rewired from 8 to 2 which would be Ok if you set the impedance switch on the amp correctly. Re-wiring would be something a local shop's tech should be able to do fairly easily.

What the tech would do is re-connect so all 4 8 ohm speakers are in parallel, which divides impedance by 4 resulting in a 2 ohm cabinet. Some other cabinets have a 4/16 switch which operates similarly.

As I recall some 8 ohm cabs had 4 of the 32 ohm 10" speakers. Nothing that can be done then, they are already in parallel. Hopefully it isn't one of those.