Ampeg Classic SVT-350H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by count_funkula, Mar 29, 2001.

1. Anybody got one of these heads?

How do they sound? I noticed they have a solid state preamp and was wondering how they compare to the SVT-2PRO.

I'm going to Dallas this weekend to try one out. I'm getting a SVT-410HLF cabinet and thought I would get the 350H to complete the "Classic Series" rig.

I will try both before buying but I wanted some feedback from anyone with experence or knowledge of this head.
  2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Depends on whether you like solid state or tube amps. I have the model before the SVT 350 H (all solid state) and I think it's great. But the SVT 2 pro is an all tube head. Big difference in the price of the two amps especially when you consider maintenance. Tubes are expensive. But if you gotta have that tube sound then you wouldn't want the SVT350 H
  3. I don't have to have the "tube sound", I just want something that sounds really good.

Ampeg says the 350H is supposed to sound as close to tubes as you can get. Of course they are trying to sell the thing. :^)

It seems that the 350H is their only head that does not have a tube preamp. By the way, what is MOSFET?
  4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    MOSFET=Metal Oxide Silicon Field Effect Transistor. The SVT-350 is just the B2R head in a wooden SVT-style case. It's heavier and more expensive than the B2R, and it has all of those precious little knobs and sliders exposed waiting to get sheared off. I would recommend getting the B2R (it's my main amp) and putting it in a rack. I tried both the SVT3Pro and the B5R-each was $400 more than the B2R and put out the same amount of power to 4 and 8 ohms as the B2R with very little sound difference so the choice was easy. The B4R costs about the same but has 1000 and sounds great.