1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg collectors looking for a 'project" ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lexington125, Oct 9, 2013.

1. lexington125

lexington125

Sep 11, 2013
    hollywood, baby......
    someday I will find 4 or 5 other guys who want to play the blues the way it was played before it became all about guitar heroics
    There is an Ampeg 830 in rough, but seemingly original condition on Ebay right now. Not sure about the rest of you, but I've only seen 3 or 4 of these in my life, and I grew up in NJ in the 1960s when Ampeg was the local hero.

This amp will take some serious work, but you'll have something few others have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ampeg-bass-...530?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ccafa3fa

I'm not a collector, but if i had even a little free time I'd consider this. Has anyone ever played one that was in good working condition? Would it make an interesting amp for recording? or other use? or is its only real value as a collectible bit of history?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Boy, that's an amp that fascinates me...those old 800-series amps. Never had the pleasure of playing one. My friend, the late Marshall Lytle, did when he was with Bill Haley's Comets and the Jodimars. He told me they sounded pretty good but you couldn't get much out of them. Me, I think it's pretty telling that Ampeg completely discontinued the 800 series when Jess Oliver came up with the Portaflex. But I bet it would make a nice recording amp for clean sounds, though I'd never crank one hard, at least not without changing the speaker to something more stout.

3. WingKL

WingKL

May 12, 2007
    Might make an interesting guitar amp.

4. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Sep 23, 2011
    San Diego, Ca
    I really like the look of the old Ampeg amps. Those old amps had a big hole in the back that let the heat out from the tubes, but were not good for bass.

Note: If you look at the pictures in the listing, and scroll over to the right, you will see a blue diamond fliptop that might be interesting. Then, if you click on see seller's other items, you will see a B18N. I don't know if it is the same as in the bass amp picture.

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Not much of a project there. Looks like new tubes, already been recapped, ad says its in good playing condition. Glue up that tolex and you're good to go.

Edit - i take it back, those tubes certainly aren't the right layout for the schematics I could find. I wonder what's been done to this thing...