Ampeg Colossus

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jonasp, Mar 6, 2003.

1. In my local newspaper, I was searching the classifieds. I found a "Vintage" 1969 Ampeg Colossus . 300 watts, 4-12" Altec Lansing speakers. Head and Cab. $500 The guy claims it is in "Mint Condition".
    Is this a good deal? Do you know what these sound like?
    Is this a bass amp? ( i am sure it is ) Any input would be helpful!

PS Also, the guy selling it only lives about 15 mins away, so i might be able to try it out!
  2. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

sounds like a pretty straight-forward and rocky rig. for the size and power that's a SWEET deal.Try it out! Don't feel obligated to buy the thing; if you decide you don't like it just say you've been looking around and hevn't made up your mind yet. :p
  3. I thought the Colussus was a guitar amp. It is solid state though, so the head ought to do fine for bass.
  4. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Yeah Ampeg used to make guitar amps... and i think the colossus was one of them. I dunno how much its worth, but it maybe be worth buying just to resell it and make a profit.
  5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I checked my Ampeg book. The Colossus ST-42L Portaflex was made in 1967. Solid State 100watts RMS (230 Peak). Tremelo, Vibrato, Reverb, and Ultra Hi. and 4-12 Altec Lansing speakers. I'll bet it sounds horrendous. Maybe not. Try it. At least it's a collectable dinosaur.
  6. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

There would be no fixin' it.
  7. You know, I actually deleted that post because I was just quoting secondhand wisdom--but if you're gonna back me up, RockBobby... :D
  8. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    it was a combo only?

i just saw a colossus head on ebay last week for $200 ballpark. no speakers though.

i was tempted.