Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by berklee46, Jan 8, 2004.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I don't think I'm losing my mind, but I think I remember years ago (late 80's?) seeing an Ampeg Combo that had two 15" speakers. One was forward facing like a normal cabinet, but the other was facing the rear or something, making the combo very compact.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about, and if so, do you have any comments about the amp?

Thanks

2. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I can't give you any info on it, but I can at least agree with you. I think they did a combo of that because I'm 99% sure they did just a cabinet in that configuration.

Maybe the resident Ampeg experts can help.

3. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
  4. I don't know about a combo but they did make a 2 X 15" speaker cabinet where the speakers were in a "clam shell" configuration. I believe it was designed to avoid phase cancellation.

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Ampeg shure did make a 2-15" as well as a 2-12" combo with the speakers placed back to back: one firing out front and one firing towards the rear.

Bass Player did a review on them about 7-8 years ago. I have the article somewhere. If I'm not mistaken the top part of the thing was a standard rack that enabled you to either load an SVT head and other 1 or 2 rack space effects. I'll have to find the article.

You thinging of tracking one down?

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    We made "Dual-Drive" cabinets, and a kinda forgettable "combo" version. The cabinets were the DD-12 and DD-15.

The cabinets would take a lot of power and still sound good. It was almost impossible to cause the cab to "fart out", even hitting it with a bridged SVT-4PRO.

They actually were a nice cabinet, and I had people asking where they could get one after we stopped making them. But a commercial success it wasn't. I expect the idea will reappear eventually.

The combo version (SVR-215) I recall was really a cabinet with rack spaces for the amp of your choice. But I think it wasn't the same as the DD units, since it was ported. I'd have to dig in the archives to be sure about it.

7. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.