1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg composite construction?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Myth_103, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

I'm borrowing an Ampeg 2x10 Classic from a friend of mine to use for in-room practice. Since I'm building a cab of my own, I decided to take a peak inside to see how everything in there was laid out. Turns out it is made of composite board?! What happened to the birch listed on their site? I don't know.. It was surprising to me. How often to big cab companies build their product out of cheaper wood types?

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    my 810e was the same thing, as i'm sure my 610hlf is.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    For a few years, Ampeg used MDF for their cabs, but went back to birch shortly before the LOUD sale.

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    :scowl:

i wonder what the sound difference is and why the switch.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    No sound difference as far as I can tell, but water damage causes it to crumble, and if you bang it into something, it will break. They originally switched to save money, and came back to regular wood because MDF doesn't work.

6. Hoss

Hoss

Jan 9, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    Actually it is OSB what the SLM Cabinets are made of and not MDF. Soundwise OSB is excellent! But it is not as impact-resistant as Plywood and it is more sensitive to humidity.

So if you are not planing to hit your OSB cab with a hammer or leave it outside in the rain then it is at least as good as a plywood cab.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Sorry, you're right...OSB...of course, to me it's all particle board ;)

8. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    hmmmmm. anyone know what years they did this?

i did remember my 810 falling out of the trailer and a nice chunk removing itself from the bottom.

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    And you'd be wrong.....

There is particle, MDF (particle with more glue), chipboard (big wood chips random;y oriented and bonded with glue) and OSB (bigger wood chips bonded with glue, and oriented two ways like plywood.

OSB is the strongest, E-V used it in cabinets (they called it "roadwood") Ampeg used it in cabinets, and others did too.

I didn't like it, it's strong enough, but not very good against impact, like drops and bumps while carrying it. I showed management the "hammer test", and eventually we switched to baltic birch, about the time of the buyout.

However, even when the cabinet was OSB, the baffles were ply.

10. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    i have a older single input 810e and have had the regular dual input w speakon and 1/4 and both were particle board .... for some reason i thought they swithched to osb after the graphics change on the svt classic from the red/blue script to the all white , but im not sure ...

11. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    My old Ampeg fridge was particle/osb whatever, and it was not very sturdy IMO. The wheels on the bottom panel punched two perfect squares in it coming off a curb one time, ouch. :scowl:

The whole bottom panel came off another time, and I finally had to make a new bottom panel out of good plywood and installed it. Never had a problem after that, except for the normal "tolex shedding disease".

For the price they charge for their cabs, you'd think they could use decent plywood. :spit:

12. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Ampeg amazes me every time... :scowl:

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    OK Jerrold. Sorry about that...chipboard, not particle board...got it ;)

14. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    There really is no way to spin particleboard production in a good way. It's always done to save money. Though I don't have a ton of experience with bass cabs (I'm getting there), I do have a ton of experience with guitar cabs. I've owned a ton of cabs over the years, boutique and otherwise. Particleboard cabs are dead and lifeless. They're one end of the spectrum like pineboard cabs are the other (too lively). Plywood is the perfect medium and sounds excellent, and it's the sturdiest of all three options, too.

15. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Yep. We all hated the OSB (which is NOT particleboard, BTW, no matter how many times you say "particleboard/OSB, whatever")...... Nothing like baltic birch..... which is why Ampeg finally went back to it right around the time of the sale to Loud.

I dunno what they are made of now, May still be russian ply, but may also be that horrible asian dead and lifeless plywood that is really "blockboard", with plies on outside, and big lumps inside.....

16. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    both my cabs were/re from the late 90's early 00's. my 810e had caster problems and the one time i was pulling it up steps and the cast completely pulled out(with chunks of wood) and i had to reposition new casters, then skate board trucks/wheels. also noticed a HUGE chunk missing from the one corner.

my 610 hasn't had any problems with anything YET.

17. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    "particleboard/OSB, whatever"

Was that enough times? :rolleyes:

What difference does it make? But thanks so much for correcting us all on the terms used for cheap crap cabinet materials. Next time I buy a cab, I'll ask if it's made of "particle board" or "OSB", and then I won't buy either.

18. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The following is a slight slight exaggeration.
    It is not resonant and so is good for home installation audio cabs.
    If your electric bass cab is made of it and you plan to move it don't.
    It is sawdust and glue held in place by the vinyl or carpet and maybe the stacking corners. If it didn't have the covering the cab would cease to exist in a short time of gigging.
    Oh yeah. Put casters in the bottom and hasten the death throws.
    These cabs weigh too much to not sustain a bang or two when being moved.
    As far as water is concerned a 1/2" flood of water got one of my marine birch plywood 2x10 cabs and the only thing that happened was that the glue came loose on the seam on the bottom. It was reglued and stapled by a PA company and was forever good as new. Had this been press bd I would have had a mildewed pile of moldy sawdust and wire, jack plate, corners, grill, name plate screws, handles and 2 10" speakers.:)

19. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I really don't care how many times you are ignorant! :D

Ignorance squared is still ignorance.....

Seriously, there really IS a difference....... if you don't like OSB (and I don't, never have) you ought to see REAL particleboard........ that really IS sawdust with just enough glue to stick it together for a while.....

It's heavy as lead (exceeded only by MDF, which has more glue) and breaks even faster and easier than OSB.

Sorry, but baltic birch is the way to go..... even US plywood is just like pressed toilet paper in comparison....... OSB or particle is not on the same planet with it.