Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg, Crate or Yorkville???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman1185, Sep 30, 2000.

1. Hey everybody, I'm about to buy a new amp, most likely a 1x15 Combo. I'm looking at Ampeg's BA115, Crate's BX100 and Yorkville's BM200. I'm leaning towards the Yorkville, because it has twice the power for about the same price. If anyone can give me advice on this, or can tell me anything about Yorkville amps I'd really appriciate it

2. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    This is all subjective, of course. But of the three amps you've named, the Ampeg is head and shoulders above the other two. There's a reason the pros use Ampegs. How many Crates and Yorkvilles have you seen in concerts?

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I beg to differ. It really is all in the ears. For my money, the BX100 beat out the Ampeg. I haven't tried the Yorkville. The Ampeg was OK, but the Crate had an 8-band EQ, a nice 5 year warranty (transferable no less), and I heard what I wanted to hear from the Crate far more than the Ampeg. The Crate has a few weaknesses, such as a bit less rugged construction, and they don't seem to hang in there as well when cranked full blast, but you can always hook on an external cabinet to bring in a bit more.

[Edited by gweimer on 10-01-2000 at 11:49 PM]

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Ampeg and Crate are made by the same company ... St. Louis Music. Crate is just their low-end line. I wouldn't even consider the Yorkville, ear or not. You're better off getting the higher quality amp. I don't like any of 'em, but that's just my opinion. It's all subjective.

5. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Check out my BX-100 review in the reviews section. I love my amp no matter what others may say about it. I definitely like it a lot better than the Ampegs because it produces more of the tones that I want. Can't say I've ever tried Yorkville, though I'm pretty set into liking certain brands (SWR, GK, Sunn) and Yorkville isn't one of them.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    >There's a reason the pros use Ampegs.

This is true.

7. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I don't think ANYONE makes an amp under 100 watts that's worth spit! Even my Vox Essex, at 55 watts, doesn't cut it above conversation levels.

8. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Under 100 watts is one of my favorite amps,the one I use for almost all gigs,a Trace Elliot BLX 80.One of the best kept secrets around.I also love the early eighties Musicman combos.Especially the 115B!How bout an old B-15,or B-18.But back to the original question,Definetly the Ampeg.Ive been an Ampeg nut for a long time.If you like the tone of it go for it.If you ever outgrow it,you will do better reselling the Ampeg,than the other two.

9. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Ampeg BA-115!!!!Good luck!

10. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    You've apparently never heard the Ampeg BA-112 then....
    It'll drown out much more than your conversations conversions alright! :D

11. Met_ill_death

Met_ill_death

Oct 1, 2000
    Hey ya'll,

I for one really like Yorkville's amps. They have a nice sound and pack alot of punch for the money. Since most of you don't seem to know much about Yorkville, they are a Canadian Based company who specialize in PA systems and bass amps. They don't make normal guitar amps, just bass(which is a good thing,it's their specialty). I have two Yorkville's a Bass Master 50 & a Bass Master 100 both of witch have served me well. I've also played on a BM200 and it sounds great too. Yorkville is a great amp at a great price, I'd recommend it to anyone.

~Trip

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, it's really cool that you like your Yorkville, but for someone who has a choice between Ampeg and Yorkville, I could only say forget about Yorkville. For someone who had to choose between SWR and Ampeg, I'd say go with the SWR. Eden and SWR? Eden, unless it's between the Super Redhead and the Metro, then I'd say SWR. Of course, you could also think about EBS Fafner, Euphonic Audio iAmp, or Aguilar, too.

13. Don't get the Crate if your looking for and highs in your sound. I'm stuck with a good amp but it doesn't have any highs. I better save up for a 4x10.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

OK, OT here for a second :)
    Munji, I am in the market for either a loud combo or a head and cabs.

Why do you recommend the Super Redhead over the Metro?

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I like the sound of the Redhead better. Completely subjective. I have a hunch more people like the sound of the Eden. I would accept either as a gift and not trade it for the other.

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Sounds just like a POD. :D

17. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    AMPEG... crates are ok.. i like the bx100, but ampegs have better tone.. and yorkville?? ***? is that a jay turser brand?

18. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I use the Ampeg B100R. Great amp with a lot of punch!

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Making a recommendation for someone's personal amp based on what the pros use... okay. How many pros actually buy their own rigs? How many amateurs have amp techs? Endorsements? Okay.

I don't get the Yorkville bashing either. Yorkville is what used to be Traynor, which has a long track record in bass amplification. Do the people here who are recommending against Yorkville actually have personal experience with a Yorkville product or is this anecdotal? I use a couple of Yorkville cabinets, they're well made and use industry standard components. So what's the problem?

What's probably happening here is people giving suggestions based on habit:

"Can't say I've ever tried Yorkville, though I'm pretty set into liking certain brands (SWR, GK, Sunn) and Yorkville isn't one of them."

Kind of hard to like something you won't try:D There's nothing wrong with limiting your choices...you'll just limit your choices. Any of the three amps will work fine, try them and see if you like one more than the others.

20. I've been an Ampeg user for several years and can honestly say the resale value is going to be higher than Crate and Yorkville.If you aren't going to sell your rig in the future,go with the brand that suits your situation and pleases your ear.In the end,it's your money,you have the final word.