1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Dan Armstrong ADA4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zuhzuhzombie!!, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!!

Jun 4, 2008
    Thoughts?

ADA4_LG.

Saw an associate playing one recently, and I got to play one of the Ampeg ADA6 guitars last night. Might consider getting one.

[​IMG]

I'm just a little curious as to what you guys think. One of the features is hot swappable pickups. The Bass comes with a "Bright Bass" and a "Deep Bass" pickup. Major differences?

General thoughts on the instrument?

2. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    Short scale, heavy. It had an unusual finger board, constant width all the way down the neck. and correct me if I'm wrong? but I know the gtr had quick-change pups, but I recall the bass didn't. (Or at the least you had to detune to get it out) Check the pics, there was a ramp cut into the gtr's body and a thumb screw to facilitate swapping. that ramp is not apparent on the bass.

3. I tried one of them out for a couple minutes about 8 months ago. What I remember:

-It weighed about as much as a sack of bricks
    -The sustain was ludicrous
    -I didn't much care for the tone. Just didn't have much to it I liked. Of course, I don't even know which pickup was in it, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

EDIT: I also do recall there was a ramp in the body to facilitate pup switching.

4. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!!

Jun 4, 2008
    Basses do have swappable pickups.

5. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Are they definitely short scale? Looking at that first pic it doesn't seem like it, but I'm tired and bleary-eyed...

I owned an Armstrong plexi guitar (smoked plexi) many years ago and I loved it. About as pure rock and roll sounding as I could imagine.

I've seriously been wondering about these and would like to hear more about them, though the price and what everyone says about the weight really puts me off.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    IDK about this reissue, but the originals and previous reissues were definitely short scale.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I had one of the originals briefly. It was heavy as hell, short scale, very clean but bland sound and had very few redeeming qualities. I don't recall any route for quick change pickups but I may have missed it. Mine just came with one. I traded it off for an acoustic guitar and wasn't sorry to see it go.

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Been there, done that, got the chiropractor bills to prove it. :)

9. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Ask yourself, What is the tonal resonance of plastic? 40 years ago, it was a cool looking axe, but like so many things back then, once the fog rolled away players went back to their Jazz Basses. The re-issues are just as heavy and tone lacking.

G