Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg decision I need help with...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by djd, Jan 20, 2004.

1. djd

djd

Jan 19, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Hi all,

New to talkbass and I have already received a wealth of knowledge from you all just by reading past threads.

Anyway, I'm in a band and I just purchased an Ampeg BA210-SP. I've been playing on it for a month or so and I am drowned out by my drummer and lead guitarist when we practice. I thought purchasing this new amp would solve my problem - and trying to tell those two to take it down a few levels is impossible.

So now I have the option of buying a used SVT-350 (about 6 or 7 years old) from a friend of a friend pretty cheap. Do I go for this, sell my BA210 and buy a cabinet. Or should I stick with the BA210 because when we gig out there is usually a PA. But we do play some outdoor gigs durinig the summer.

I've rambled on quite a bit....

2. Thain

Thain

Dec 27, 2003
    Finland
    If you can't hear yourself in the practise over the drummer and guitarist I would sell the combo and get something bigger. BA210 puts out 220W @ 4ohm and I think SVT-350 puts out 350W @ 4 ohms and about 200W @ 8 ohms. If that's the case you should look for a 4 ohm cabinet to get the full power out of 350. Good luck.

3. djd

djd

Jan 19, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for that info. Greatly appreciated...

4. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    Get the svt 350 and try and find a used 4-10 or 2-15 cab.I have no problem keeping up with 2 marshalls in my band.