1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Diamond Blue Club: B200R, B100R, B50R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mazdah, Apr 18, 2012.

1. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY
    I cant answer that but if you want to know if you'll be heard next to it all I can say is

I played with a drummer who's idol was Neil Peart and a guitarist who played through a 100 watt tube Marshall head and a half stack, playing classic rock. while it was pushed as far as it could go, I was still heard. the B100R projects very well. 10 feet and further away it slaps you silly

2. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    Ampeg B100R is a killer amp, but why on earth is your guitar player using a 30 watt guitar combo?? Overkill, IMO.

3. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    I had the B200R, I thought is rattled too much and had to be too loud to get "that" tone. I sold it and kept my B100R and B50R, which are fantastic combos for vintage tones.

4. SethD

SethD Supporting Member

Very cool. anderbass have you posted the details about this mod?

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I just popped the back cover off, cut the speaker wires and soldered 1/4" speaker plugs and jacks in-line
    keeping the same polarity.

Instead of drilling any holes I decided to mount the jacks in a simple homemade bracket that's attached to one
    of the back cover screws so the mod would be reversible.

I used an extra couple feet of speaker wire on the male end that's going to the speaker.

Leave em plugged in, the combo still works as normal.

DSCN1415.

DSCN1705.

And then simply unplug the male end to use as a cab.

DSCN1714.

6. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY
    am I to understand that you are running that head through the 2 B110R's by passing the electronics on the amps themselves?

thats pretty efing cool

how many watts is that head. I thought the speakers in the B100R only handled 150 W.....that head looks like it would be more than that

?

7. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    For most gigs, I run a pair of USA B100Rs stacked with a Radial Big Shot and a Yamaha NE-1 in front. The Radial helps get rid of any hum/buzz nastiness, and the NE-1 is usually run flat, acting as a master level control for the two amps. Originally I did this with a B50R as the top amp, but felt I needed the expanded EQ of another 100. When I found my second on CL, I sold off the 50. Both 100s are keepers!

8. SethD

SethD Supporting Member

Interesting. I would love to hear that rig. The SVT-II is such a cool amp as well.

9. It should fare well. They're a rather loud, well-toned 100 watts, and mine at least has been able to handle long periods of high volume when it's been necessary. I've used mine for all the situations you've mentioned.

If you're in a venue with a broad, wooden floor space, it can send some great waves through the floor, which I really enjoy.

10. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Thanks, the speaker jacks I added are simply wired in-between the combos amp section and speaker. This also allows me to use other cabs with the combos amp section.

The head in my pic is an Ampeg SVT-II, Its a 300 watt tube powered amp. So far my B100R speakers have held up fine at the medium-loud volume levels I've used this rig.

11. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    While I think my B100R's sound great stock, powering with my SVT seems to give my B100R cabs a fairly similar tone and feel, only better in every way.

12. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

Sep 6, 2006
    Kansas City
    I'm in ... picked up my B100R last December through CL.

IMAG0268.

Great combo! I keep it on a small furniture dolly I had around the house.

It's been gigged quite a bit by its previous owners (I'm the third), but there are no tears and the control panel still had the protective covering on it when I bought it.

Attached Files:

13. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    I just bought a B100r off CL, in 8-out-of-10 condition, for a very good price. All I can say is I wish I'd gotten one years ago. It's a very compact and easy-handling 65 lbs (surprisingly so), similar to a suitcase in heft. Very fat sounding. I expect it to be a go-to piece for years to come.

14. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I still find the weight a bit much, but IMO there is no better sounding solid state combo if you are looking for that B15 tone. These amps flat out KILL!

15. mdlewis

mdlewis

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    Posted this at top level, but thought I'd try here as well.

I own a B200R which has served me well as my home practice amp for about three or so years now and I love it. It's worked faithfully and the tone is fantastic.

I need now to replace the power on LED. I've taken the three screws of each side to remove the amplifier part so I could access the LED but the amplifier is still attached. The only thing that I can conclude is that underneath the sound baffling in the cabinet, there must be additional screws that secure the amplifier.

I'd like to know for sure before I remove this sound baffling as it will just be one more thing to replace. Or is there somewhere else this things attached....?

16. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    You can it's called an SVT.
    I started a thread very similar because every time I played my B-100 I hated my big rig.
    Everyone said get an SVT so finally I did get an SVT-VR and it has been a dream!
    Now I've got the sound I crave big or small

17. My B-100R and 62 AV RI P-Bass......love this amp, this is actually my second one...I stupidly sold the first one to my brother....missed it so much I bought this one used.

18. RedElefant

RedElefant

Feb 20, 2011
    Birmingham, AL
    attachment.

L-O-V-E my B200R (bought locally from a fellow TBer).

Shown with some of my other Portaflex gear.

19. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    I love the vibe of these cabs, I'm currently having Don from LDS building me a 610 fliptop lookalike. I'm obsessed with the tolex.

:bassist:

20. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy

Jan 22, 2011
    Want to revive this thread... Going to check out a B100R tomorrow. Looks like the guy made his own slip cover, has all the original manuals etc, and it looks flawless. I'm so stoked! I'm never, literally, never getting rid of it if it's half the amp my last one was.

With OP's permission, I'm going to assign membership numbers.