1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg Diamond Blue Club: B200R, B100R, B50R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mazdah, Apr 18, 2012.

1. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    User SIFJiggy will give you numbers from now. PM him please.

2. Tusec

Tusec

Jan 10, 2010
    Hello crickets!

Just a quick note that I just installed a Weber 12F150 speaker in my B50R and am really liking it. The 12F150 is basically a boutique clone of a Jensen C12N. I'm thinking that lightly doped, lightly constructed speakers -- basically guitar speakers -- are the way to get the true vintage sound out of these amps.

I actually had bought an Eminence Neo Basslite 12" from Fliptops based partially on their recommendation but it was so over-doped and smooth sounding that I quickly put the original speaker back in. The Basslite took the tone in the opposite direction that I wanted to go. It sounded smooth and well controlled but I'm after something more vintage sounding possibly at the expense of having more flab and rawness especially when pushed.

Even before plugging in I could tell the two speakers were going to sound different by thumping on their cones with my finger. The original gave a louder and more papery thwack versus the Basslite's rubberier thump. The original's dust cap is made of noticeably thinner material that easily gives way when pressed with your finger. The Basslite's dust cap is of a fairly stiff material.

I put the original back in and liked the tone better but was thinking about how bass amps back in the day were basically fitted with guitar speakers. Lots of B15s originally came with Jensen C15Ns. The original speaker in the B50R, though less modern than the Basslite, is still a heavier constructed and more modern speaker than an old Jensen.

Then I remembered the Weber C12N clone that I had packed away years ago after not using it in a guitar amp. I threw it in the B50R...and there was the tone. It's sloppier for lack of a better word but is simply a more interesting and soulful sounding speaker.

I need to put the original back in for a sanity check, but at this moment I'm fairly convinced that if you want the true vintage tone you have to go with a true vintage style speaker.

anderbass likes this.
  3. I have a USA made B100R arriving this week. Yet to play one or even see one used, so taking a chance on it.

It's only the second one I've seen on eBay in recent years here in Oz so I snapped it up. :)

Pics to come...

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    I think your going to like it, a lot.

Jayhawk and Groove Doctor like this.
  5. I already LOVE this amp. My P Basses sound best thru them.

- I can only just get red clip light to flash. Is the HPF protection input-level activated, or hard wired with the Gain knob?

- Booked it in to get the bulb replaced with LED, and if it begins to 'pop' too loud on switch off I'll get a timed relay added.

- Amp Out & Speaker In jacks mod... where's the best place to drill for the plugs? 1/4" TS I assume.

- Castors: 2", 3" or 4". Who's got what & what's your preference? I'll prob remove the rear two for slight tilt-back when needed.

My ears were ringing the first night - I cranked it for a few hours. That's loud enough for me!!

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    As for castors, to my ears this amp sounds better on the ground. No casters. It is fuller.

7. Faraday

Faraday

Jun 20, 2012
    I use a USA B-50 with tape wound P for practice and fun. I also noodle around with a Tele on it. Also sounds pretty good. I would pick up another one or a B-100 if I saw a decent one in my neighborhood. Easy to dial in good tone. Never have to retube or adjust the bias. Ampeg should have kept making them. But, I don't want a $4,000 reissue.

8. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

Sep 6, 2006
    Kansas City
    This has been posted before on TB somewhere but since he's using a B-100 I figured it'd be appreciated here. Love that P too - sexy!

9. SethD

SethD Supporting Member

Can anyone identify the mic being used above? Or suggestions about a good mic and placement for the B-100?

samniner likes this.
  10. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    Damn good sound!

Dubista likes this.
  11. samniner

samniner

Aug 26, 2009
    Wisconsin
    That mic looks like it’s one the bottom left corner there. Its best to experiment with mic placement and see what your ears like.

12. Dgl44

Dgl44

Oct 30, 2014
    Slovenia
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I finally found the right place, to share an interesting story of Ampeg quality with you guys.
    I own a B200r, MIA, which blew a speaker some time ag, so I took the amp out and have been using it with my HB 210 cab. Sadly due to lack of $$ I haven't gotten around to making a sexy retro lookong enclosure for the amp and replacing the speaker in the cab (just recieved a new speaker though, so at least that's getting done today!), so I could leave one cab at the rehearsal space and have on at home for other gigs, and just transport the head.

Past week I had a gig with a bass & sax duo I play in, and it was in a small town square in front of an old church between two rather fancy restaurants, under a big chandelier hanging over the street. A really beautiful place to play.
    In the middle of the first set, out of nowhere (really, few thin clouds above, otherwise clear skies) it started raining lightly. The kind of scarce but very full/fat raindrops. Ofcourse also on the !exposed circuitry and preamp tube of the amp!
    I was sure that this is it, my amp's gonna fry, I'll have to walk 5min to the car to get the backup head, lose the audience, and mess up this gig and potential future ones with these restaurants.
    While I was silently panicking, thinking whether to stop at once and cover the amp, keep playing until it blows or what, I realised that half of a song had gone by and my Ampeg didn't mind the water whatsoever.
    The event organizer and a barista already started setting up the roof during this time and so I just went with trusting the amp and played on. We finished the gig, amp didn't mind the water at all, and all in all the gig was a huge success.
    In contrast my fully enclosed 89' GK 200rcb (also MIA) once died on me while I carried it about 50ft also in light rain from under a roof to a covered stage.

I love Ampeg even more now, and I think I'll make sure to get around to making a veery nice looking enclosure for the amp ASAP. It deserves one for sure!!

TL;DR: Exposed Ampeg b200r circuitry survived rain during a gig!

Edit:
    Added a photo. Didn't take too many pictures, but this one is after the gig, where you can see just how exposed the amp really was. :rolleyes:
    View attachment 3505987

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    SethD likes this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Glad it survived the rain, but that is a severe electrical hazard having it exposed like that, and it will open you up to lawsuits if someone goes poking around in it where they don't belong, or throws something in it that causes a fault. Or if it rains on you and causes it to break down and go nuts with the electronics. Just because you got lucky that time doesn't mean it's going to continue. Do not ever play with an exposed amp like that anywhere for your own safety as well as others!

Also, what speaker did you get for the B200R cab? I always recommend the Eminence Delta or Beta 15a for cabs like that, but I'd be interested to hear what you got.

Dgl44 likes this.
  14. Dgl44

Dgl44

Oct 30, 2014
    Slovenia
    I understand that. Making a housing for it is at the top of my priorities, now that I've finally started getting my financial situation together.

I got the Eminence 3015. My boss (I work in sound engineering currently) had one he didn't need so I relieved him of it. :roflmao:
    It's veery mid heavy so I'll need to get used to how the EQ now responds, but it'll do for a while. :)
    Any suggestions for a horn replacement?
    I found out yesterday that somehow whoever toyed with it in the rehearsal space, managed to fry the speaker and the horn. I have no idea how on earth that could even happen. :rollno:

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That sucks. Unfortunately tweeters aren't my strong suit. I'm sure someone else will pipe up with a suggestion. Always wanted to try a 3015 in one of my double baffle B-15 repro cabs but after what you said, glad I didn't.

16. Dgl44

Dgl44

Oct 30, 2014
    Slovenia
    Based on my experience as of now (a few hours of fiddling with the settings in a rehearsal room) I would advise against it for an Ampeg cab. Unless you're a huge fan of mid frequencies that is.
    If the b200r used to produce a well rounded, warm sound with the EQ all set to 12 o'clock I now have to bring high and low mids down to about 9 o'clock and bring the bass up to 2 or 3 o'clock to get that same sound.
    On the other hand the 3015 is indeed a lot lighter and louder even though it's 8 ohm impedance.
    Since it was almost a gift I'll get used to eq'ing it and I love the option of pairing it with another cab in a lovely stack now that the ohm's allow it. :drool:

JimmyM likes this.